Just as The University of Tennessee, Knoxville has policies about information technology, the UT Libraries has guidelines for use of electronic resources. Unlike print materials, most electronic resources are licensed, not owned, by UT Libraries for use by students, faculty, and staff for their study and research purposes. The owners of each electronic resource define what they consider to be appropriate use, and they monitor use to detect potential abuse of their intellectual property.
Misuse or violation of these restrictions may result in the termination of access to the electronic resource for the entire UT Knoxville campus. The person using the equipment, software, or resource is liable for any infringement he or she may commit.
By using electronic resources licensed by UT Libraries, users agree to review and comply with any applicable term and conditions.
Users agree that they will not:
- Violate any copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property right associated with the electronic resource;
- Use the electronic resource for any purpose other than educational or research purposes;
- Use the electronic resource for commercial purposes;
- Excessively or systematically download or copy the electronic resource;
- Use the electronic resource in course packs or e-reserves without the appropriate permissions;
- Copy or install the electronic resource to his or her personal computer or other electronic medium;
- Facilitating use or access by non-authorized users, including sharing passwords or authorized access codes;
- Distribute the electronic resource to others, either in electronic or hard-copy form; or
- Use the electronic resource in an illegal or otherwise improper manner.
For more information on users’ rights, see UT Libraries Copyright information .
Authorized users and use:
- An authorized user is a current student, faculty or staff member of UT Knoxville.
- Persons using a computer on the UT Knoxville campus network are considered authorized users for many, but not all, electronic resources.
- Off-campus/remote use is available for many, but not all, electronic resources for faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students at UT Knoxville.
- An authorized user may copy reasonable amounts of the electronic use for personal or private study purposes.
- UT Knoxville will not be held liable for any unauthorized use of electronic resources. UT Knoxville, at its discretion, will penalize unauthorized use as it sees fit.
Explore our digital collections
UT Digital Collections has something for every Vol fan — including the Lady Vols Basketball Media Guides.
Recent NewsMore News
- How to Library: Spring 2021
- Entrance to Pendergrass Library Has Moved
- Give the Gift of Hodges
- Holiday Hours
- Faculty Bookplate 2020
- Birds of the World database - Down for Maintenance- Nov. 17-19, 2020
- Boundless: Artists in the Archives featuring Marcel Holman
- Construction at Pendergrass Library Begins October 5