Special Collections welcomes members of the UT community and visiting researchers.
A research account is required to use materials from manuscript collections, rare books, University Archives, and the Modern Political Archive. Requests for materials and reproductions must be made through your research account. Please follow these steps:
- Register as a researcher with Special Collections.
- Identify the materials you would like to consult and place requests for those items in your Special Collections account.
- Schedule an appointment when submitting your requests. Note that requests must be submitted 5 days prior to your appointment date.
Register or Login (https://utk.aeon.atlas-sys.com/logon) to access your Special Collections Research Account
Walk-in researchers are also welcome if the materials are on site and the reading room is not at capacity. Materials do not circulate and may only be viewed in the Special Collections reading room during open hours.
Please submit reference requests in writing. Telephone reference is limited to questions about Special Collections and University Archives holdings or hours that can be answered in five minutes or less.
Reference requests are answered in the order that they are received. The response time will vary depending on the complexity of the request, current demand, and staff availability. Our average response time is currently 2 to 3 weeks.
In depth research is beyond the scope of our services. In these instances, staff can suggest collections for researchers to consult when they visit Special Collections
Reproduction requests must be submitted through your Special Collections research account.
There is no self-service photocopying available in the reading room. Personal scanners are not permitted. Use of digital or smartphone cameras is permitted.
Manuscript Collections can be searched in Scout at https://scout.lib.utk.edu/.
Digital Collections can be searched at https://digital.lib.utk.edu/
University of Tennessee theses and dissertations are stored off-site and must be viewed by contacting Storage (https://www.lib.utk.edu/request/).
Recent NewsMore News
- Join us to celebrate renowned Knoxville artists Beauford and Joseph Delaney
- On Display: The Art of the Editorial Cartoon
- Smokies Anniversary: Enjoy Historic Images of the Park
- Changes in Access to Library Resources
- Final Clarence Brown Films this Weekend; UT Libraries Holds the Director’s Archives
- Clarence Brown Film Festival Moves to UT Campus on Friday; Keynote Address at Hodges Library
- “Smouldering Fires” at Clarence Brown Film Festival Thursday; Explore Film Stills in the UT Libraries Archives
- Clarence Brown Film Festival, August 16–20, Salutes Famed Hollywood Director from Knoxville