InformationSupporting Research, Scholarship, Teaching, and Learning
The University Libraries provide document delivery services to remote UTK students, faculty and staff as well as UT agricultural extension and research agents. To qualify for distance education services, you must live 40 or more miles from Knoxville. Students must be currently enrolled to access online resources and to use library services. Students enrolled only in independent study classes are not eligible for library services.
Distance Education library delivery services will be available to any enrolled student living off-campus within 40 miles of Knoxville AND who identifies as medically fragile or disabled. If you would like to request this delivery service, please contact us at email@example.com. We do not need to know the nature of your need for this service, nor do we require documentation.
Registering for Delivery Service
To arrange for home delivery of books and other materials, you must be registered as distance education faculty/student/staff in the ILLiad system. To register as a distance education user, follow these steps:
- Important: If you were previously registered as a non-distance education user and will be at a remote location for an extended period of time (excluding breaks), please contact Resource Sharing at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a status change.
For all others:
- Go to the Resource Sharing web site.
- Enter your NetID and password to enter the ILLiad system.
- Provide your personal information.
- Choose the status that includes Distance Education in parentheses. If you do not qualify for this service, we will let you know.
- Choose Distance Ed Delivery for Loan Delivery method.
- Do not use a PO box for your address as items are delivered via FedEX.
How to Request Delivery of Materials
To request physical library materials, you must use ILLiad. You cannot use the “Request Physical Item” function in the catalog if you wish to have the material delivered to your home. Please use the “Request PDF Scan” to request chapters or articles from library held materials.
- Go to ILLiad and enter your netID and password.
- Choose the type of request you want to make from the New Requests dropdown.
- Fill in as much information as you have about the item, and note any unusual circumstances in the notes field.
Delivery of Books and Articles
Whenever possible, journal articles will be delivered electronically through the ILLiad system. Books and other materials will be sent via FedEx. We will include a FedEx prepaid label to ship the material back to us. Borrowers are responsible for lost/damaged materials.
Please contact Resource Sharing with questions at email@example.com.
Contacting a Librarian
Librarians provide academic support for faculty, students, and staff by finding information and recommending strategies for using the libraries’ resources. Assistance is provided via phone, e-mail, and online chat. For in-depth research questions or to schedule an online consultation, contact the subject librarian in your discipline.
We are not able to provide proctoring services here at Hodges Library.
Recent NewsMore News
- Exhibit in Special Collections Honors Frederick Douglass, Black History Month
- Library Storage Annex Update from UT Knoxville Campus Advisory Board Meeting
- UT Libraries Welcomes High School Students for BOSS STEM Conference
- Carolyn Finney, Author of “Black Faces, White Spaces,” to Speak February 29
- Katie Hannah Appointed New Director of UT Press
- Tell Us How We’re Doing: Take the Library’s Survey
- Beauford Delaney Papers Now Available to Researchers
- “Rising from the Ashes” — UT Press Book Wins Art Award