The following series of reports track essential measurements of the UT Knoxville Libraries over the past six academic years. Interested in a particular subarea? Use these quick links:
Loans and Requests
Downloadable overviews of the statistics are available in a printer-friendly form below.
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) is a membership organization of the largest research libraries in North America. The ARL has conducted a major survey on the collections, expenditures, staffing, and service activities of its members annually since 1961. The data thus collected combine with earlier data collected by James Gerould to form a consistent dataset covering 1907 to the present. Tennessee has contributed data to the survey since 1963.
Since 2003, ARL has calculated the Library Investment Index, which is “a measure of relative size” and investment among peer institutions that does not serve to measure the quality or success of a library’s services.
Library Investment Index for TENNESSEE (2003-2018)
|Year||Total Prof. + Support Staff||Total Materials Expenditures ($)||Professional Salaries & Wages ($)||Total Library Expenditures ($)||ARL Investment Index Score||Rank in ARL Investment Index||Rank among U.S. Public Universities|
Statistics Reports for Staff
Graduate Commons Officially Open
The long-awaited space just for graduate students in Hodges Library is now officially open to all graduate students.
Recent NewsMore News
- Open Textbook/Open Educational Resources Grant Program: Call for Proposals
- Holly Mercer Elected to HathiTrust Board
- ProQuest Ebook Central - Scheduled Maintenance- Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Historical UT Agricultural Publications Now Available as Digital Collections
- Library Hosts STEM Event for K-12 Teachers
- “Science in Motion”: Librarians to Host Film Screening and Photo Preservation Events
- UT Libraries Surpasses $20 Million Campaign Goal
- Graduate Commons offers quiet or group study—and a sense of community
Upcoming EventsMore Events
Lunch and Learn: Difficult Conversations on Supporting First-generation StudentsOct. 23 @ 12pmJohn C Hodges Library - 605
Foreign & Independent Film: SolarisNov. 5 @ 7pmJohn C Hodges Library - Lindsay Young Auditorium, 101
Make BreakNov. 14 @ 1pmPendergrass Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine Library - Makerspace