Welcome to SOIL!
For information about visiting the UT Libraries as a high school class and getting access to research tips, please visit the Visiting High Schools Research Guide at libguides.utk.edu/visitinghighschools.
What is STEM?
STEM is an acronym that refers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. As the need for innovative, intelligent members of today’s workforce continues to rise, it is our intent at the University Libraries to provide quality resources in these increasingly important subject areas.
What is STEAM?
The future of STEM is STEAM – STEM plus Art and Design. STEAM is widely being adopted by school and universities. The objectives of the STEAM movement are to place Art and Design at the center of STEM, to encourage Art and Design education, and to influence employers to hire Artists and Designers to drive innovation. If you’re interested in learning more about STEAM, visit www.stemtosteam.org.
How do I use this site?
This site was designed to meet the information needs of STEM students and teachers. It includes links to library collections available to those living in the Knox County area, as well as collections available virtually. The library is a good place to supplement the concepts being taught in the classroom.
Please take time to look over this site! Know that the University Libraries is excited to help you grow in your science, technology, engineering and math education!
What is B.O.S.S.?
The program introduced the students to careers and research exploration in STEM disciplines through active engagement, networking, and hands-on demonstrations from experts in the field and community.
Check back on the B.O.S.S. website at https://www.lib.utk.edu/outreach/soil/B-O-S-S for registration and agenda information about next year’s program.
Recent NewsMore News
- Join us to celebrate renowned Knoxville artists Beauford and Joseph Delaney
- On Display: The Art of the Editorial Cartoon
- Smokies Anniversary: Enjoy Historic Images of the Park
- Changes in Access to Library Resources
- Final Clarence Brown Films this Weekend; UT Libraries Holds the Director’s Archives
- Clarence Brown Film Festival Moves to UT Campus on Friday; Keynote Address at Hodges Library
- “Smouldering Fires” at Clarence Brown Film Festival Thursday; Explore Film Stills in the UT Libraries Archives
- Clarence Brown Film Festival, August 16–20, Salutes Famed Hollywood Director from Knoxville