Copyright laws guard our rights to use existing materials but also protect the creations of artists or scholars from certain misuses.
Carefully examine the pricing, copyright, and subscription licensing agreements of any journal you contribute to as an author, reviewer, or editor. Where possible, publish in open-access journals with funding models that do not charge readers or their institutions for access. Serve on editorial boards or review manuscripts for open-access journals.
Modify, if appropriate, any contract you sign with a publisher to ensure your right to use your work, including posting on a public archive. See the Scholar’s Copyright Addendum Engine for examples.
Use a Creative Commons license to mark your work with the freedoms you want it to carry.
- Copyright Law
- Fair Use
- Public Domain
- Video and Copyright: ALA Library Fact Sheet Number 7
- Copyright Information – University of Tennessee Office of the General Counsel
- Registering Copyright
- Copyright Permissions
- Citing Your Sources and Creative Works (YouTube Video: UT Libraries Instruction)
Use in Education
UT Policies & Principles
- UT Libraries Principles of Fair Use
- University of Tennessee Board of Trustees Statement of Policy on Patents, Copyrights and Other Intellectual Property (revised June 19, 2003)
- UT Library Council (System) Statement on Copyright, Fair Use and Open Access
Tools and Links
The Open Sandbox
Join us for an exploration of open source digital research tools. Workshops are open to all.
Recent NewsMore News
- Henry Luce Foundation Grant to Fund Programs Highlighting Beauford Delaney Papers
- Writing Blitz, March 29
- Do you know where your next meal is coming from?
- A Conversation with Appalachian Filmmakers
- Early Printed Bibles on View during Shakespeare Symposium
- Accessible to All — Resources to Learn More About Disabilities
- Financial Hardship and Food Insecurity on Campus: Panel Discussion, March 9
- Share Your UT Libraries Love Story!
Upcoming EventsMore Events
Barbara Dombrowski - “Tropic Ice” Exhibit, Screening and Lecture at Hodges LibraryMar. 26 at 4pmJohn C Hodges Library - 2nd floor, Main Gallery
Barbara Dombrowski - “Tropic Ice” Exhibit, Screening and Lecture at Hodges LibraryMar. 27 at 4pmJohn C Hodges Library - 2nd floor, Main Gallery
Game NightMar. 27 at 7pmPendergrass Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine Library - Group Study Area