ETLA Board Meeting
May 6, 2010
Chris Durman, Presiding
Susan Poorbaugh, Treasurer
Susan Simmons, VP/President-Elect
Becky Smeltzer, Newsletter Editor
I. Welcome: Chris Durman welcomed everyone to the meeting at 11:00.
II. Minutes: The minutes from the April 22, 2010 meeting were approved with revisions after a motion by Chris Durman and a second by Susan Poorbaugh. The board agreed to include meeting attendees in the April 22, 2010 minutes and future minutes.
III. Treasurer’s Report: April 2010 Financial Statement
Member Dues 30.00
4/29/10 180.00 $ 425.00
Includes gratuity & speakers’
Donna Braquet Refund 20.00 $ 413.48
Balance as of April 30, 2010 $1,298.56
ETLA was close to a break even for the Rothrock Lecture.
IV. Old Business
- Rothrock Lecture
- Afterthoughts: The lecture was well-arranged and the restaurant was great. The board gave kudos to Susan S. for her work in planning the lecture.
- We may want to provide nametags to the attendees next year.
- Photos: Susan S. has asked Peter to post the photo of Karyn and Tricia on the Rothrock page. Susan S. will choose a few other group photos to post as well.
- Website update
- Thank you to Peter, Susan P. and Susan S. for their work on the webpage.
- Chris will give the last two Rothrock lecture titles to Peter for the webpage. There was no Rothrock Lecture in 2007.
V. New Business
A. Membership survey for programming suggestions
1. Nineteen people have taken the survey as of 05/06/2010.
2. We’ll discuss the results at the next ETLA Board meeting in June.
B. Nominations for ETLA Vice‐President/President Elect, Secretary, and Newsletter Editor.
The group brainstormed possible candidates for the positions. We will try to include two candidates for each position. Board members will call the potential candidates this week. The ballot will need to go out in May, so that the election can be completed by June 1. The new and outgoing board members will attend the board meeting in June.
C. Results from brainstorming strategies to increase attendance:
1. Chris has met his ETLA goal for the year which was to increase attendance at ETLA
programs. Susan S showed a quick table of the year’s programs.
|ETLA Programs 2009-2010|
|Thursday, 10/1/2009||Book Brag||Carpe Librum||15||Social|
|Thursday, 11/12/2009||Mehra & Pepin Grants||Powell Shoney’s||18||Educational|
|Wednesday, 1/27/2010||OSTI Databases & Federated Search Products (Joint with KAHSLC)||UT Health Science||19||Educational|
|Thursday, 4/22/2010||Rothrock Lecture||Puleo’s Grille||22||Social/Educational|
- Keep the meetings outside of libraries. People seem to enjoy meeting at restaurants.
- Plan the schedule much farther in advance. Peter has a calendar he can use on the website.
- Have the brochure ready for the 2011 TLA conference. (increase membership)
D. Other informal programs in the Spring
1. Agee Crash Bash, Tuesday, May 18 at 7:00 PM at the Checkered Flag Sports Bar, Emory Road and
2. Elijah Wald is still a possibility. Chris will continue to work on this.
E. Other new business
1. Calendar for 2010‐2011
a. First meeting in late September or early October b. Second meeting in early November
c. Third meeting in February
d. Rothrock Lecture during the third week of April
2. Programming Brainstorming
a. First program to kick off the year – Book Bash. Have it at the Downtown
Grill & Brewery in the glassed‐in area.
b. February meeting – joint meeting with school library media specialists.
Sean McCollough is an area children’s musician. This program might also attract public librarians
looking for summer reading program performers.
c. Possible Rothrock topic: Kindles and Nooks and their impact on libraries…digital books
VI. The meeting adjourned at 1:05 pm.