Ever wonder how Clingmans Dome got its name? Find out at the October 18 book release party for the UT Libraries’ limited-edition letterpress book, The Spot Marked Alpine: A Story of Names, Mountains, and Men.
The starting point for The Spot Marked Alpine is an 1858 letter from UT’s Special Collections regarding the Smokies peak we now know as Clingmans Dome. Woven around this letter is the intriguing tale of a controversy that played out in North Carolina’s newspapers in the late 1850s over who should receive credit for identifying and measuring the highest peak in the Smoky Mountains.
Ken Wise and Anne Bridges, co-directors of the Great Smoky Mountains Regional Project and authors of The Spot Marked Alpine, will tell the story and sign copies of the book.
Thursday, October 18
Special Collections Reading Room
Betsey B. Creekmore Special Collections & University Archives
121 John C. Hodges Library
Reception at 5:30 p.m. Remarks at 6:30 p.m.
Guests will receive a copy of our beautifully designed and expertly hand-crafted letterpress book created by Arion Press of San Francisco, California.
RSVP to 865-974-6903 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Park at the Lake Avenue Garage (maps.utk.edu) and take our shuttle bus.
Graduate Commons Officially Open
The long-awaited space just for graduate students in Hodges Library is now officially open to all graduate students.
Recent NewsMore News
- Open Textbook/Open Educational Resources Grant Program: Call for Proposals
- Holly Mercer Elected to HathiTrust Board
- ProQuest Ebook Central - Scheduled Maintenance- Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Historical UT Agricultural Publications Now Available as Digital Collections
- Library Hosts STEM Event for K-12 Teachers
- “Science in Motion”: Librarians to Host Film Screening and Photo Preservation Events
- UT Libraries Surpasses $20 Million Campaign Goal
- Graduate Commons offers quiet or group study—and a sense of community
Upcoming EventsMore Events
Lunch and Learn: Difficult Conversations on Supporting First-generation StudentsOct. 23 @ 12pmJohn C Hodges Library - 605
Foreign & Independent Film: SolarisNov. 5 @ 7pmJohn C Hodges Library - Lindsay Young Auditorium, 101
Make BreakNov. 14 @ 1pmPendergrass Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine Library - Makerspace