Follow these instructions to request funding for article processing charges.
After reviewing the fund’s eligibility guidelines:
- Ask the journal publisher about the possibility of a waiver or reduction of publishing charges. Report the results of your request in the appropriate box on the application form.
- Complete and submit the online application form (below). Requests for funding can be made at the point of acceptance to a publication.
- You will receive an email from the Office of Research and Engagement or the University Libraries regarding the decision.
- Please have your college/department pay the invoice up front.
- Submit the paid invoice with IRIS document number and a copy of the email confirmation to Melanie Murphy, email@example.com, 1534 White Avenue, Knoxville, TN, 37996-1529 (email preferred).
As a reminder:
- Peer-reviewed journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals are eligible, as are those published by members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association. Peer-reviewed open access journals that are listed in the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) database are also eligible; however, hybrid journals that make only selected articles open access are not eligible for funding.
- For additional open access journals, consult our list of publishers who provide open access.