Dr. Thomas Dailey in the Department of Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries is editor of the National Quail Symposium Proceedings (NQSP) and has had a role with the publication since 1993. He and his fellow editors noticed that the proceedings, published as books, were not getting high citation counts.
Dailey asked the University Libraries how to increase the visibility of this valuable research on nonmigratory birds. In consultation with Scholars’ Collaborative librarian Rachel Caldwell, NQSP is now an online serial, similar to an e-journal, hosted by the Libraries. With digitized backfiles and a new issue about to be published, it is also an open access publication, making it findable — and citable — by researchers and policymakers everywhere.
NQSP papers are gaining worldwide readership in the three months since they were made available online. From the eastern United States to France to South Korea, several papers have already been downloaded over 30 times. Research shows a positive correlation between downloads and future citations (see, for example, Brody, Harnad & Carr, 2006).
The University Libraries currently hosts 13 peer-reviewed journals, edited or founded by UT researchers. See the online NQSP.
Graduate Commons Officially Open
The long-awaited space just for graduate students in Hodges Library is now officially open to all graduate students.
Recent NewsMore News
- Open Textbook/Open Educational Resources Grant Program: Call for Proposals
- Holly Mercer Elected to HathiTrust Board
- ProQuest Ebook Central - Scheduled Maintenance- Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Historical UT Agricultural Publications Now Available as Digital Collections
- Library Hosts STEM Event for K-12 Teachers
- “Science in Motion”: Librarians to Host Film Screening and Photo Preservation Events
- UT Libraries Surpasses $20 Million Campaign Goal
- Graduate Commons offers quiet or group study—and a sense of community
Upcoming EventsMore Events
Lunch and Learn: Difficult Conversations on Supporting First-generation StudentsOct. 23 @ 12pmJohn C Hodges Library - 605
Foreign & Independent Film: SolarisNov. 5 @ 7pmJohn C Hodges Library - Lindsay Young Auditorium, 101
Make BreakNov. 14 @ 1pmPendergrass Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine Library - Makerspace