The UT Libraries has created an online digital collection of photos and home movies of the Smokies taken in the 1940’s, ’50’s, and ’60’s by William Derris, owner of the Derris Motel in Townsend, TN. The images and video document landscapes, flora, wildlife, and people in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and were used by Derris to entertain and inform guests at his motel.
Scholars’ Collaborative staff, Michelle Brannen and Ashley Manor, assisted librarians in creating the 12 movie clips presented by helping cut and edit the content of the films to create the 12 samples and by recording, editing, and adding the music tracks.
Welcome Back, Vols!
We’re glad you’re here. Let us help you start the semester off right by connecting you with helpful resources, services, and librarians.
Recent NewsMore News
- Free Online Language Courses
- Game Night with Dungeons & Dragons
- Hodges Library 2nd-floor entrance CLOSED Monday, Aug. 19
- Graduate Commons CLOSED Aug. 13-20
- Now showing: Foreign and independent films
- Game Night July 24—Dungeons & Dragons
- UT Libraries Helps Launch New Digital Library of Tennessee Portal
- iThenticate plagiarism-detection services unavailable July 13