The UT Libraries has created an online digital collection of photos and home movies of the Smokies taken in the 1940’s, ’50’s, and ’60’s by William Derris, owner of the Derris Motel in Townsend, TN. The images and video document landscapes, flora, wildlife, and people in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and were used by Derris to entertain and inform guests at his motel.
Scholars’ Collaborative staff, Michelle Brannen and Ashley Manor, assisted librarians in creating the 12 movie clips presented by helping cut and edit the content of the films to create the 12 samples and by recording, editing, and adding the music tracks.
The Open Sandbox
Join us for a monthly exploration of open source digital research tools open to all.
Recent NewsMore News
- UT Press Joins the University Libraries
- The Spring Semester Wasn’t All Sunshine. But Our Volunteer Spirit Helped Make it Brighter.
- National Endowment for the Arts Will Fund Wildfire Recovery Project
- ProQuest Ebook Central and LibCentral - down for maintenance June 27, 2020
- Steve Smith to Lead Fall Semester Planning; Holly Mercer Will Serve as Acting Dean
- Thank You, Dean’s Student Advisory Committee
- SGA Recognizes Instructors Who Use Open Educational Resources