The UT Libraries has created an online digital collection of photos and home movies of the Smokies taken in the 1940’s, ’50’s, and ’60’s by William Derris, owner of the Derris Motel in Townsend, TN. The images and video document landscapes, flora, wildlife, and people in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and were used by Derris to entertain and inform guests at his motel.
Scholars’ Collaborative staff, Michelle Brannen and Ashley Manor, assisted librarians in creating the 12 movie clips presented by helping cut and edit the content of the films to create the 12 samples and by recording, editing, and adding the music tracks.
Explore our Digital Collections
University of Tennessee Libraries Digital Collections have a new look and are now easier to search and discover.
Recent NewsMore News
- Newly-acquired Joseph Delaney Sketch on Display
- Exhibit: “Unveiled: Four Centuries of Apocalyptic Visions”
- An evening with culinary historian Michael W. Twitty
- Ebook Central, My Research, and Citation Tools - Down for Maintenance - 12/20-21/19
- Book Club “read” for faculty/staff: Everything They Never Taught You About College Teaching
- And the winner of our short story contest is . . .
- Create a Music Video for the Free Range Video Contest
- Resolved: Potential Interruption of Online Library Services