The UT Libraries has created an online digital collection of photos and home movies of the Smokies taken in the 1940’s, ’50’s, and ’60’s by William Derris, owner of the Derris Motel in Townsend, TN. The images and video document landscapes, flora, wildlife, and people in and around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and were used by Derris to entertain and inform guests at his motel.
Scholars’ Collaborative staff, Michelle Brannen and Ashley Manor, assisted librarians in creating the 12 movie clips presented by helping cut and edit the content of the films to create the 12 samples and by recording, editing, and adding the music tracks.
Recent NewsMore News
- Maggie Longmire to Perform at Boundless: Artists in the Archives
- Douglass Day — Join us for a Lecture and Transcribe-a-thon
- Add Mystery to Your Life with Blind Date with a Book
- UT Libraries Partners with GPO to Preserve Government Information
- UT Libraries Hosts High School Students for BOSS Hands-On STEM Conference
- A Lens into Appalachia: A Conversation with Documentary Filmmakers
- Our short story contest winners are …
- DeStress for Success