Pay Grade 38
The position reports to the Senior IT Technologist II of the Desktop Support Group, a part of the University of Tennessee Libraries’ Technology Infrastructure department. Both the group and the unit work in a collaborative environment within the UT Libraries, across campus (especially with the Office of Information Technology), external IT entities, and vendors. The primary duties are installing, configuring, and providing technical support for desktop, laptop, and mobile computer hardware and software.
This position regularly consults with faculty, staff, and public users of the Library to facilitate the flow of information. May also consult with vendor support personnel to replace defective equipment in a timely manner.
Responsibilities / Duties
- Investigate, analyze, and resolve computer software, hardware, and network problems within the University of Tennessee Libraries including workstations, hardware and software as well as networked and stand-alone peripherals.
- Serve as the primary technical support person, mainly utilizing remote assistance tools, for the Social Work Library in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Help secure networked devices, set users and permission on shared Active Directory folders, and assist users with desktop storage needs.
- Install and maintain Windows and Macintosh computers, peripherals, moving technology equipment as requested and other related duties as required.
- Train faculty and staff of the University of Tennessee Libraries in the use of their computers and software as needed.
- Consult with faculty and staff of the University of Tennessee Libraries to plan and implement the most effective and efficient solutions to their specific computing needs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of experience in a technical support position, preferably in a college, university, or library environment.
- Proven analytical problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and repairing Windows and Macintosh desktop and laptop computers and software.
- Knowledge and experience configuring, troubleshooting, and assisting users with mobile devices, especially iOS and Android devices and their operating systems and applications.
- Knowledge and experience configuring and securing Windows and Macintosh computers and mobile devices in a networked environment.
- Ability to manage several ongoing projects while responding to daily problems and emergencies.
- Ability to analyze, diagnose, and resolve computer hardware, software, or network related malfunctions.
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical support remotely.
- Must be able to lift up to twenty-five pounds.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work in a diverse social, cultural, and economic environment.
Experience or knowledge of:
- IP networking.
- Windows Active Directory environment.
- DeepFreeze by Faronics.
- Symantec Ghost.
- Libraries, especially academic libraries.
- Library software such as: Alma, Illiad, Connexion, Archivist toolkit, GIS Applications.
A background check is required prior to hiring. In order to be considered for candidacy, you must submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications and a current resume.
For assistance or questions about using the UT online application system contact UT Knoxville Human Resources:
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0213
For more information about positions in the Libraries contact Library Administration, 865-974-6600.