SLAs are the primary public service staff for the equipment checkout desk located in the Hodges Library Commons. Hodges SLAs are expected to assist patrons with checking out and using various types of equipment made available through the Public Services Department, as well as aiding staff throughout the library.
The nature of Public Services requires SLAs to be extremely reliable, punctual, and able to work independently. This includes commitment to notifying the shift supervisor of any absence with as much advanced notice as possible.
Typical work includes checking out equipment, maintaining equipment inventory, and working with library staff to ensure all service points are covered. SLAs will receive training from staff for equipment and general circulation procedures. In addition, Library staff may assign additional projects as needed to accommodate the patrons.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Working at equipment desk, which includes:
- Checking in/out equipment such as digital cameras and laptops
- Reporting any issues with equipment or services
- Providing assistance with hardware and software
- Answering informational and directional questions
- Additional duties as needed
- Working knowledge of both Windows and Mac computers
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Customer service experience with a commitment to provide high quality service
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
In order to apply you must submit a resume and a word document stating the times of day your are available to work each day of the week through Handshake.
Apply for Position
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admissions without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Eligibility and other terms and conditions of employment benefits at The University of Tennessee are governed by laws and regulations of the State of Tennessee, and this non-discrimination statement is intended to be consistent with those laws and regulations. In accordance with the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, The University of Tennessee affirmatively states that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or disability in its education programs and activities, and this policy extends to employment by the University. Inquiries and charges of violation of Title VI (race, color, and national origin), Title IX (sex), Section 504 (disability), ADA (disability), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (age), sexual orientation, or veteran status should be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED), 1840 Melrose Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996-3560, telephone (865) 974-2498. Requests for accommodation of a disability should be directed to the ADA Coordinator at the Office of Equity and Diversity.
Welcome Back, Vols!
We’re glad you’re here. Let us help you start the semester off right by connecting you with helpful resources, services, and librarians.
Recent NewsMore News
- Free Online Language Courses
- Game Night with Dungeons & Dragons
- Hodges Library 2nd-floor entrance CLOSED Monday, Aug. 19
- Graduate Commons CLOSED Aug. 13-20
- Now showing: Foreign and independent films
- Game Night July 24—Dungeons & Dragons
- UT Libraries Helps Launch New Digital Library of Tennessee Portal
- iThenticate plagiarism-detection services unavailable July 13