Diversity & InclusionDiversity & Inclusion at the University of Tennessee Libraries
About us: the University Libraries of Tennessee, Knoxville Libraries is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make people and communities unique. The UT Libraries puts this concept into action by intentionally creating and sustaining inclusive environments, fostering partnerships, facilitating conversations, and modeling behaviors that promote and celebrate individual and collective achievement.
Our Mission: We strive to provide excellent services, access to information, and outreach to our community of users regardless of: age; cognitive style; culture; ability; economic background; education; ethnicity; gender identity; geographic background; immigration and asylum-seeking status; marital status; physical appearance; political affiliation; race; religious beliefs; sexual orientation. The UT libraries is committed to providing spaces for our community of users to connect, collaborate, and learn inside and outside of the classroom.
Expectations: Members are expected to attend regularly scheduled monthly meetings. Additionally, committee members will be requested to attend subcommittee meetings in support of special projects and/or new initiatives. We expect members to strive to be actively anti-racist and willing to grapple with or confront or address uncomfortable topics relating to social justice.
New member appointees will reflect a balance and broad representation of individuals from various UT Libraries branches, various campus units, staff and faculty.
- Members will be appointed by the Dean based on recommendations from the Diversity Committee
- Committee appointments will be for a minimum of two years (Members are welcome to remain on the committee for longer if they desire.)
Procedures for Membership Selection:
The committee will review and make recommendations to the Dean. New members will join the committee as soon as they are appointed.
Adopted by the UT Libraries’ Diversity Committee May 16, 2002.
Revised 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2021.
Current Committee Members can be found here.
Diversity Action Plan
Learn how the libraries are working to advance access, accountability, an inclusive campus climate, and equity.
Recent NewsMore News
- New “Seed Library” at Pendergrass: Join the Launch Party Sept. 7
- "Studienbuch": Pioneering Study in Piano Pedagogy Now in English Translation
- Artworks: The Chimney Tops 2 Wildfires
- Announcing our Philosophy of Access to Research and Scholarship
- Students and UT Libraries Award Faculty for Using Open Educational Resources
- Neurodiversity: Panel Discussion, May 5
- Digitization Project to Preserve Senate Recordings from the 1950s and ’60s
- UT Libraries and The Wall Street Journal Partner to Bring Sponsored Memberships to Campus