Cookie Bake-Off (photos)
On May 23, 2013, the Diversity Committee hosted a Cookie-Bakeoff and Meet-and-Greet for the UT Libraries. Staff members were invited to bake their favorite cookie recipe, share the recipes with others staff, and vote on their favorite cookie. At the event, we also featured highlights of the Diversity Committee programs, as well as our new website.
On April 19, 2013, the Diversity Committee set up a booth at UT’s International Festival. The table featured recipe cards from the Libraries Special Collection’s Cookbook Collection. Our food theme was Southern recipes.
National Library Week Display
During National Library Week April 14-20, 2013, a display was set up to show appreciation for UT Libraries.
The University of Tennessee College of Communication and Information held its fifth annual Experience Diversity Banquet on February 22, 2013 at Bearden Banquet Hall in Knoxville. The keynote speaker and recipient of the 2013 CCI Diversity Award was Knoxville Mayor Madeline Rogero.
Common Ground Book Club: Real Man Adventures
T Cooper’s Real Man Adventures was the subject of the Common Ground Book Club on February 19, 2013. Library Dean Steve Smith led the discussion of this comic look at the author’s transsexual journey.
Librarians presented information on the Human Library at the Black Issues Conference on February 2, 2013 to UTK students, faculty and staff. A discussion was led about the meaning and impact of titles. Plans were shared about the future of the program in 2013 and 2014.
The members of the committee volunteered to set up a table on January 13, 2013 at the Race Against Racism. It was presented for the Association of Dr. Martin L. King Jr Commemorative Commission celebration.
Citizenship Display at the University Center
In January 2013, the Library Diversity Committee created a Citizenship Display in the University Commons as part of our Culture Corner program. Works and materials from UT Library displays were presented with the hopes of encouraging a dialog regarding what makes a good citizen.
Common Ground Book Club: The Things They Carried
The Things They Carried was discussed at the Common Ground Book Club on November 14th, 2012 in the Commons South, Hodges Library. The book, written by Tim O’Brien, is a series of stories about a platoon of American soldiers in Vietnam.
#ThanksUTveterans Campaign (November 12-16, 2012)
- Through a Solider’s Eyes – a video-slide show of photographs collected from veterans and exhibited in Hodges Library. Professor Baldwin Lee, working with the Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy and the UT Center for the Study of War and Society, has been collecting photos from soldiers and assembling them into an exhibit. The photos may also be published as a book.
- Volunteers Say Thank You —Faculty, staff and students were given red, white and blue sticky notes to write “thank you” messages to veterans which were posted to a six foot 2D model of the word “Volunteer” located on the 2nd floor of Hodges Library.
Return to Diversity Events page
The 2020-2021 Culture Corner offers resources and materials that explore Native American cultures and traditions.
Recent NewsMore News
- How to Library: Spring 2021
- Entrance to Pendergrass Library Has Moved
- Give the Gift of Hodges
- Holiday Hours
- Faculty Bookplate 2020
- Birds of the World database - Down for Maintenance- Nov. 17-19, 2020
- Boundless: Artists in the Archives featuring Marcel Holman
- Construction at Pendergrass Library Begins October 5