Diversity & InclusionDiversity & Inclusion at the University of Tennessee Libraries
The Diversity Committee, in collaboration with the School of Information Sciences, engages in an annual book read and discussion series each year. We solicited titles from the Libraries’ Organizational Read participants, and by popular vote, the book we will examine in the fall is Algorithms of Oppression by Safiya Noble. A committee of Peter Fernandez, Joy Marie Doan, Kim Blaylock, Megan Venable, Michelle Brannen, Elisha Jewell, Lorna Hollowell and Thura Mack have been working to get this initiative in motion.
There will be a total of six small group sessions held over the fall held at each two-chapter intervals. If there is a great increase in participants due to student interest, more sessions will be added. At this time, we plan to hold the small group session on Zoom; more information and a signup will be sent closer to each date.
First two chapters small group #1 – September 12 @ 2:30 – 3:30
First two chapters small group #2 – September 15 @ 3:00 – 4:00
Second two chapters small group #1 – October 17 @ 11:30 – 12:30
Second two chapters small group #2 – October 20 @ 12:30 – 1:30
Last two chapters small group #1 – November 8 @ 2:30 – 3:30
Last two chapters small group #2 – November 9 @ 3:00 – 4:00
If there are any questions, please let me or any of the committee members know. We are all looking forward to having fruitful discussions with our colleagues.
Diversity Action Plan
Learn how the libraries are working to advance access, accountability, an inclusive campus climate, and equity.
Recent NewsMore News
- Maggie Longmire to Perform at Boundless: Artists in the Archives
- Douglass Day — Join us for a Lecture and Transcribe-a-thon
- Add Mystery to Your Life with Blind Date with a Book
- UT Libraries Partners with GPO to Preserve Government Information
- UT Libraries Hosts High School Students for BOSS Hands-On STEM Conference
- A Lens into Appalachia: A Conversation with Documentary Filmmakers
- Our short story contest winners are …
- DeStress for Success