UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes
April 19, 2018
Present: Thura Mack, Megan Venable, Sarah Green, Sarah Gonzales, Sarah Mallory, Liz Zepeda, Cathy Jenkins, Peter Fernandez, Anne Hulse.
- Sarah Green and Sarah Mallory presented the results of the April 5 L&L to the group. Committee members received a copy electronically as well.
- It was decided to add a note to the survey indicating that if responders’ wished to have a question answered, they could either leave contact information, or questions would be answered on the committee’s website.
- Thura will check with Michelle to update the website with current information, and to add that the committee is the recipient of the Dr. Marva Rudolph Diversity and Interculturalism Unit Excellence Award.
- Cathy suggested piggybacking our communication in others’ listservs and newsletters. Future communications from the committee that require campus attention will go through marketing to get into Tennessee Today and on Angie Beaty and the SIS listserv.
- Sarah Gonzales suggested a L&L on safe zones. Liz is attending a meeting regarding safe zone training, and will report back to the committee after that about the length of time required for training.
- Anne suggested using the new Student Union when it is built for hosting L&Ls.
- Kim Blalock and Charissa Powell were voted in as new members to the committee. They will be invited to attend the May meeting.
- Thura congratulated the committee for their work in receiving the Dr. Marva Rudolph Diversity and Interculturalism Unit Excellence Award.
- Suggestions for the culture corner were discussed: political civility, social media liability and responsibility, and taking a stand: know your rights.
Upcoming meeting dates:
- May 17 – Hodges 605
- June 21 – Hodges 605
- July 19 – Hodges 605
- August 16 – Hodges 605
- September 20 – Hodges 605