Present: Thura Mack, Melanie Allen, Cathy Jenkins, Megan Venable, Kenya Flash, Sarah Mallory, Michelle Brannen, Keila Zayas-Ruiz, Trey Hobson, Anne Hulse, Peter Fernandez and Sarah Green.
- Announcements – Michelle, Melanie, Elizabeth and Thura — “Here & There: Diversity Initiatives In and Out of the Library” for the 10th National Conference of African American Librarians, presentation is August 12 in Atlanta.
- The International Festival will be held September 29 from 10 AM – 2 PM. The committee will participate again this year, and will repeat last year’s successful presentation of international snacks.
- Welcome new members & introductions – introductions were made, and we welcome, Sarah Green, Peter Fernandez and Sarah Mallory to the committee.
- Website updates – Keila showed the committee what updates she had made to the website. (https://www.lib.utk.edu/diversity/)
- Lunch and Learn updates and next steps – Thura and Elizabeth meeting with members of the Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW) to discuss a possible collaboration. Suggestion to make the sessions 1.5 hours to include more discussion on Privilege vs. Oppression.
- Ask the CHEW and Multicultural Student Life if any of their staff members would like to join the Libraries’ Diversity Committee.
- Megan to investigate the viability of Safe Zone training on campus.
Based on our Diversity Committee Strategic Planning in December, 3 possible goals were identified for us to address:
- Identify broader diversity, social justice, and cultural topics that would be of interest to the entire organization
- Explore hosting safe zone training for the library organization
- Create a packet that describes the work and value of the diversity committee
Please mark your calendars for the remaining 2017 meetings:
August 17 – 605 conference room
September 21 – 605 conference room
October 19 – 605 conference room
November 16 – 605 conference room
December 14 – 650 conference room