Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: August 18, 2016 at 1:00 in Room 150
Present: Kenya Flash, Elizabeth Greene, Michelle Brannen, Thura Mack, Megan Venable, Keila Zayas-Ruiz, Melanie Allen, Cathy Jenkins, Seth Jordan, Trey Hobson
National Diversity in Libraries Conference where Thura and Kenya presented
- We should discuss the possibility of developing our own brochure like the one from the Henry Madden Library which is front and back in the attachment
- To discuss the ACRL Diversity Standards in one of our future meetings and decide which ones we would like to focus on and develop (also included in the attachment)
- The buzzwords from the conference were social justice (in lieu of diversity), white fragility, privileges (of all spectrums), and equity and inclusion
- While this was a remarkable conference, the lack of library administrator was felt
- It’s ok to be discomforted and uncomfortable with discussing race
- Don’t argue with someone sharing their own experiences
- Several institutions had diversity committees both external to the library or internal, and a few had both
International Festival – September 30th
- Waiting for the call for participants to submit the registration form
- The booth will feature a spinning wheel representing the most popular countries our study abroad students prefer and home countries of our international students. Guests to the booth will spin the wheel and taste a treat from the country selected. Books and other materials from these counties will also be displayed.
- Thura requested $200 for snacks from administration
- Consult Allison Sharp for information regarding snacks from international locations
Resources Subcommittee – Cathy
- Presented list of resources gathered so far (attached)
- Include suggested articles on diversity and its importance
- Include a code of conduct in it and for our Lunch and Learns
Thura welcomed new member Elizabeth Greene
Themes for the Culture Corner:
- Selected “Exploring Your Personality” with an overall goal of learning your personal traits in order to hone your leadership skills
- Michelle will make a sign for the Culture Corner that lists the personality assessments offered through Career Services and TEL
Fall Lunch and Learn – November 9th at noon in 605 with Becky Jacobs on “how to have difficult conversations”
- Kenya will contact the ICOS to see about an October/spring L&L on intersectionality and its impact on academia and faculty members to check on an October/spring L&L on “the other F word: feminism.”
We have until the end of August to determine the L&L schedule in order to request funding from CDI.
There was no one able to attend the Conference on Inclusion at the University of Maryland in October.
- Although a moving target, it is “done” except for a new logo and an updated resources page
- Put the updated website notice in the next dean’s newsletter
How should we communicate the Diversity Committees’ activities to our colleagues in the library?
- Kenya – internal marketing campaign
- Thura – brochure that includes information about our resources, mission statement, poster presented at UT diversity summit on campus resources and the website.
- Kenya – sign language day
- Cathy – intersectionality discussion with all lib. Kenya to ask faculty members when she contacts them about L&L
Megan to send Elizabeth information on the upcoming International Festival for the dean’s newsletter.
Next meeting agenda: International Festival