Skip to content

Diversity Committee

UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes June 18, 2015

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: June 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Room 150

Announcements:

  • There has been a department name change as of July 1, 2015. The office known as the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion is now known as The Office for Diversity and Inclusion.
  • The recent proposal will be a twofold session one on planning programs on diversity and another on how to partner with the library.
  • The person who was going to demo the fishbowl approach could not make it to the meeting.

Progress on the Lunch and Learn series:

  • Thank you to everyone for following up on the assignments from the last meeting.
  • The series will be highlighted in the August newsletter for diversity that will focus on the Committee at the Library.
  • Tuesday September 16 noon meeting to be in Mary Greer Room
    • Dr. Strand could not commit, but did give contact information
    • Michelle contacted; received the names of the panelists on Social Media and Bullying
    • Megan will contact Jennifer Beals for a possibility to host
    • If there are no responses then the Committee could host something more casual (since we are not experts)
  • Wednesday October 21 noon meeting to be in Room 605
    • The Tennessee Teaching and Learning Center’s Dr. Ferlin McGaskey, will host
  • Tagline for the series (what we have been calling lunch and learn)
    • An open conversation about___________
    • The blank is filled in with the topic
    • Examples: An open conversation about bullying or an open conversation about race

To do and assignments moving forward:

  • Need a guiding vision document
    • Michelle and Megan will work on a draft
    • It will be sent to Committee
    • It will also be sent to Lili’a so that it can link to the Chancellor’s page
  • Branding Cathy and Ingrid will work on that
  • Publicity
  • Secure a speaker for September 16 or alternatively create program
  • Work on Spring commitments (we need two)
  • Michelle and Regina will work on a draft survey to create a wishlist this will be distributed in the Fall for the Spring sessions and may also be in person at the events

The next meeting will be Thursday July 16, 2015 1:00pm in Room 150.

In Attendance:

Melanie Allen
Michelle Brannen
Sarah Holt
Cathy Jenkins
Seth Jordan
Thura Mack
Lili’a Neville
Regina Mays
Ingrid Ruffin
Megan Venable

 

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.