Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: May 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Room 150
Megan, Thura, and Michelle will be writing a proposal for the Diversity Summit. It will include a poster and a session.
Lunch and Learn series:
Regina shared the poll results:
- 119 respondents
- 27% undergraduate students
- 19% graduate students
- 15% faculty
- 39% staff
When combining “somewhat likely” and “very likely” to attend, the top results were:
- 81% How free is your speech? Racism, sexism, homophobia, bullying, and social media.
- 68% What do you believe? Religious tolerance and understanding.
- 68% He/She/Him/Her? Gender identity and expression in the classroom and on campus.
- Civility and first encounters
- Including conservative viewpoints
Discussion of material:
The Diversity Committee will have a training session in June on civil conversations/ nonviolent communication.
TNTLC, Black Cultural Center, someone from the psychology department, or Professor Strand. Individual members will do research and contact Thura with information.
The hope is that the host for our session can also host the first Lunch and Learn.
Based on the poll results, the second lunch and learn will be on free speech.
A possible host can be someone from the College of Communications- Michelle will research that.
Further discussion of the setup of the Lunch and Learn series:
Fish bowl – more research to be done on how to achieve that goal
Ingird and Thura will be contacting First Year Studies to get it added to their series.