Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: April 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Room 150
- Ingrid distributed invitations to the upcoming UT SALUTE Veteran Recognition Ceremony to be held on Monday, April 27 at 4 PM in the Hodges auditorium.
- Thura asked that all members consider ideas to submit a proposal for the upcoming UT system-wide diversity summit to be held in the fall.
- There may not be a May meeting – members are advised to keep an eye out for an email confirming this.
Lunch and Learn series
- Interest poll is ready for distribution. Thank you to all who submitted feedback! It will be announced next week (week of April 20) and be up for one week. It will be announced in the Vol Update.
- Mary Greer room will be used for the series held once a month; three sessions will be run in fall 2015 and four in spring 2016 (a check of the calendar just now shows it currently available for reservation).
- Discussion included:
o Cross-campus opportunity, but who would our audience be?
o What measures would take place to determine outcomes?
o Use clickers to count pre and post session questions?
o Short sign in to determine student, faculty, staff status?
o Market the series to the Council of Deans, 1st year studies, RAs, graduate student orientation, and multi-cultural student organizations
o The Black Faculty and Staff Association recently identified similar measures for their power hour series that include:
§ Feel more comfortable discussing issues of diversity and inclusion
§ Increased competency how to approach situations
§ Identify one way you would do this if the situation arrived
§ Do you feel you have increased your awareness around diversity and inclusion?
§ Did this increase your sense of community and belonging?
The 25th anniversary of the ADA includes a partnership with the City of Knoxville to participate in the Legacy Tour. It will be on May 14 on Market Square from 10 – 5 PM. Volunteers will be needed to staff the booth and help with set up and break down.