Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes
Room 605- 1:00 p.m.- August 2, 2007
1. Meeting convened by Thura Mack.
2. All members (old and new) attending:
Becky Roller, Sandy Allen, Allison Roberts, Hannah Powell, Donna Braquet,
Trisha Brady, Thura Mack, and Sara Green
3. Small talk- mention of talented individuals in library and the making of a talent
a. Allison mentioned the “Evening of Cultural Sharing” that is mentioned on
Sharenews where multinational food will be available and there will be exhibits.
b. Becky reminded everyone of Barbara Dewey’s “Talk About It” about India and Barbados scheduled for August 9, 2007.
4. Thura explained the purpose of the first meeting is to say goodbye to those
members that are rotating off of the committee, and to welcome those who
are just joining it.
5. Thura briefly mentioned Pauline’s “Talk About It” that was held July 31, 2007
on her trip to Scotland and the flowers that were presented to Pauline for her
6. Thura welcomed the new members and announced that she and Sara Green would
be the new co-chairs for the committee for the upcoming year.
7. Everyone introduced themselves around the table.
8. Names of members for fall were given.
9. Becky explained how committee got started and what it does.
a. 2 branches- outreach and staff enrichment
b. topics for Cultural Corner suggested by staff and others
c. student appreciation- Barbara acknowledges students and student
advisory committee yearly
10. Discussion of last meeting where Barbara attended and challenged committee:
a. asked should “Life of Mind” committees be combined? She was afraid
that Diversity Committee would take a back seat and is too vital to do so
b. thinks is time to re-do Climate Survey- has to be a collaborative effort
11. Thura mentioned the priority of goals and being true to them:
a. see where campus is now and work with them
b. climate survey repeated
c. challenge from those rotating off to do so
d. create a plan of action
12. New members asked to share why they wanted to join:
a. Allison Roberts- curious- see how she can help- is good at designing things
b. Trisha Brady- interested in diversity- see if her idea of diversity and committees are similar
c. Hannah Powell- impact- opening people’s minds is difficult- is member of LEA and sees collaborative points- sees opportunity to open up lines of communication between the 2 committees
13. Old members asked why they stayed:
a. Thura Mack- thinks things are improved- thinks issues brought out by
survey. Don’t know if survey is still on committee site, but mentions
article written by Molly, Tamera and Tiffany that will give information
b. Sandy Allen- liked what she did with the committee during the past year-
Thought working with student recognition and the party was good experience
c. Sara Green- enjoyed being on committee last year and the experience it
gave in diversity issues- camaraderie between members- volunteered for leadership because of wish to help committee move forward
d. Donna Braquet- can’t top that!
14. Question from Hannah asking what workshops committee has been involved
a. Anthony’s genealogy workshop
b. Handicap issues
c. Others listed on Diversity Committee home page
15. Question from Hannah asking if committee involved with topic of different
ages, or have work shops on this topic, but don’t
16. Thura found citation for Tiffany, Molly and Tamera’s article and told everyone
17. Thura talked of meaning of diversity and maybe start some meetings in future
on what this means to us as individuals-help to build platform to keep
committee strong to keep on path where goals are.
Thura asked if members rotating off, of which Becky was the only one present,
would be agreeable to helping with special projects and Becky stated that was
agreeable to anything she was needed for
18. Thura asked if 1:00 on Thursday is a good time for everyone to meet? Will
send out an email to ask everyone and the majority will prevail. Will also
discuss date for next meeting
19. To think about for next meeting:
a. time for meetings to be held
b. look at goals