Diversity Committee Meeting – 12-14-06
Present at meeting: Shantel A., Mark P., Jane R., LaVerne G., Andy M., Gail W., Sara G., Roger W., Becky R., and Kawanna B.
a. Kawanna reminded everyone that the Holiday party is Friday the 15th and that additional help with set up, staffing, and clean up would still be appreciated. Kawanna also asked for additional help with toy, book, and phone card collection throughout the day.
b. Kawanna announced that the diversity plan was sent to LMG and is now on its way to the University’s Diversity council. Jill also suggested that the plan be posted to the Committee’s site and Kawanna will take care of that as soon as she is able to do an upload to the server.
c. Kawanna announced that Barbara has been contacted by the BCPC about contributing to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Celebration and that Kawanna had suggested a monetary donation of $100. Kawanna will contact the BCPC to see if any other additional, non-monetary help is needed and will let the Committee members know how they can become involved.
d. Kawanna announced that the Culture Corner is on it’s way to being up in time for the students return in January. Maud may still need additional help with the actual putting up of the Corner – anyone who is available please contact her directly.
e. Kawanna and LaVerne updated everyone on the status of the Residency program, letting the Committee know that a proposal for funding for 3 additional residents had been written. As soon as information is available concerning the proposal it will be shared with the Committee.
f. Roger announced that the Chancellor has formed a Campus LGBT Commission – similar to the commissions for blacks and women that are already in place. The Libraries are represented well, including Donna Braquet as a co-chair. Currently the commission has 21 members and may be opening up for additional membership soon. Their first task may be to look at current HR policies to make them more inclusive. The commission has not been officially announced by the chancellor but it has been formed.
2. Sub-committee meetings recap and updates on activities.
a. Kawanna and LaVerne updated the committee on the Staff Enrichment subcommittee’s meeting on 11-16-06. Updated included the continuation of the Let’s Talk About it Series, which Kawanna is in charge of locating presenters for. Alan Wallace has agreed to do one on JL Cook, a little known Tennessee musician. The Lunch “n View program which will be continued. The Family Reunion Food Fest which is being considered for a later date in the summer. And the Library Student Recognition Celebration. Kawanna contacted Barbara concerning options for alleviating the work load for the Committee for this program, LaVerne contacted LSA and LSA has agreed to co-sponsor the event. Planning for the event will begin in early January for a late February celebration date to be determined. The idea of resurrecting the Diversity Cooking Class was raised and Roger suggested that he could contact the Glass Bazaar to see about using their venue. The Bazaar has a nice kitchen and already holds cooking classes there. Roger will check on the cost.
b. Kawanna updated everyone on the Outreach committee’s 11-16-06 meeting from the notes that they submitted. The subgroup talked about holding a cultural competency workshop and possibly partnering with SIS or the Law Library to spread things out. A way of highlighting campus events was discussed including a bulletin board in the Commons areas that could be used to post Ready for the World events. The case would probably need to be glassed in and would need someone to organize and review things to be posted. Outreach to student groups was discussed and ideas for bringing them in to speak to the Committee were included. A documentary film viewing related to the Appalachian celebration was suggested including the films “American Hollow,” “Harlan County USA,” and “Country Boys.” The first 2 films are already owned by the Libraries. “Country Boys” runs 360 minutes and might require an extended showing.
c. Jane announced that as part of the Libraries’ QEP group, she, LaVerne and Dr. Crabtree’s wife will be visiting the Highlander school to talk to Suzie Williams, the education outreach director. They will discuss programming possibilities related to Highlander and the Civil Rights Movement. The Libraries has several films that would work for a series and we could also highlight historical and also new immigration concerns as Highlander nears its 75th Anniversary. It was suggested that a poster display could be placed in the Galleria, similar to one done on Holocaust survivors a few years ago. Mark suggested a collaboration with the UT Art Gallery downtown for help with this.
d. Mark issued a plea for help from the group to help market audiostreaming databases that include ethnic and culturally significant information. Mark has a list of student groups and could use assistance with marketing and brainstorming. Anyone interested in helping or wanting to know more can contact Mark or Chris Durman.
e. Roger announced that there had been 2 recent complaints about religious harassment at the Libraries. In response Training will include 2 diversity related programs on the Spring training schedule, including one that talks about religious sensitivity in the Libraries. He asked if the Committee could be an “in-name” co-sponsor. A table vote gave all positive nods and the Committee will be included as a co-sponsor.
f. Roger also announced a pet idea of his that would bring art work or murals to the stairwells. Roger has noticed the empty space that is available and wondered if we could have murals painted by someone in the campus community to hang in these locations. Canvases might be better (Jane’s suggestion) and easier to get hung. Funding would be necessary and a theme (Roger has suggested diversity). Roger will write up something more focused and formulated. Anyone interested in this endeavor should let Roger know.
3. Meetings for spring 2007
a. Meeting for Spring will be pushed to a 1:30 start. Current scheduled dates are:
i. January 11th
ii. January 25th
iii. February 8th
iv. February 22nd
v. March 8th
vi. March 22nd
vii. April 5th
viii. April 26th
Please let Kawanna know if anyone notices any conflicts that would affect the groups as a whole with these dates.
Respectfully submitted by Kawanna Bright – 12-14-06