Diversity Committee Meeting – September 22, 2005
1. Newest Members
Shantel Agnew, LaVerne Gray, and Mark Puente were introduced as the newest members of the Diversity Committee and welcomed. Shantel, LaVerne, and Mark are the newest minority residents at the libraries.
2. Non-Discrimination Banner Signing
Kawanna announced that the committee votes were in and the majority had decided that the Committee should sign the banner. Kawanna had also checked with Barbara, who had given the okay to the decision. It was decided that a time should be set up either that day or the next day to go down to the University Center (UC) to sign the banner. Maribeth mentioned that the last time she was in the UC she had not seen the banners and wondered if they had been taken down. Kawanna agreed to go to the UC that afternoon to check to see if the banners were still available. If they were she would contact the committee to invite those available to join her the next day for the signing. If the banners were not available, Kawanna would contact the artist, Beauvais Lyons to determine if they would be available in another location. Becky suggested that if they were not available any where else, the committee could look into bringing the banners into the Libraries. (Update: The banners were still available and a group of four: Kawanna, Donna, Tom, and Roger, made their way down to the UC on Friday the 23rd to complete the signing.
3. Discussion Series – New Name?
Thura and Molly announced that the first installment of the cultural discussion series would be Erica Clark’s discussion of her trip to China and would take place on October 10th at 3:00 in Hodges 150. The presentation will include a slide show and refreshments will be provided.
Molly announced that the name for the series, suggested by Maud, will be “Let’s Talk About It”. She also asked Roger if he would be willing to design a log for the series that could be used with any advertisements. It will be placed on Share News as well as in other locations. The future installments are not planned as of yet, but there are a number of others willing to participate in the future and the sub-committee in charge of planning is open to any and all suggestions for further sessions.
4. National Coming Out Month (Donna or Roger?)
Both Donna and Roger gave a brief heads up on the upcoming events in Knoxville for National Coming Out Month (October). Rainbowawareness.org is one location online where at least 10 events are listed. Kawanna will work to add those events to the diversity calendar. Roger will send out a list of other resources and events to the committee. Donna will make sure the subject guide created last year is once again available from the libraries’ home page. Donna and Roger are also both willing to be the next “Let’s Talk About It” volunteers and offer a session during the later weeks of October.
5. Diversity Discussion with the Dean (Kawanna & Molly)
Kawanna and Molly updated the committee on the two diversity meetings held with the Dean. On Tuesday, September 20th, Kawanna, Molly and Jill met with the Dean and Sabrina Haddow, a representative of the Office of Equity and Diversity. Sabrina’s job is to visit with each department or school to see what if anything they may need to complete the diversity plans that are being requested by the University. Barbara presented Sabrina with a packet that included information on the diversity initiatives and goals from the libraries that can be found in the Diversity Committee’s goals and mission, the 05/06 FY reports and the annual reports.
There are six major goals that each department is asked to address in terms of diversity. On Thursday, September 22nd, Kawanna, Jill and Molly met with Barbara to discuss roles in terms of pulling this information together. Kawanna and Molly will work to fill in what information they know and then pass that along to Jill who will then deliver it to Barbara.
Rita asked what the final outcome of the plans would be. Once the plans for each department are submitted, how will they be used and how will they be evaluated. Kawanna will contact Sabrina Haddow with this question to see if there are already plans in place.
6. October dates for meeting
The committee decided not to hold a committee as a whole meeting on October 6th, which would have been the next scheduled meeting. Instead, subcommittees will meet to begin discussion of projects and goals. Kawanna will schedule both 150 and 605 for use by the 2 subcommittees. There will be no meeting on October 20th as many of the committee members will be taking the Fact-Finding trip to Atlanta to view Information Commons. The next committee as a whole meeting will be on November 3rd at 1:00.
Respectfully submitted by Kawanna Bright