Diversity Committee Meeting
February 7, 2002
Present: Thura Mack, Molly Royse, Renee Smith, David Atkins, Tiffani Conner, Becky Roller, Maribeth Manoff (Recorder)
- Tiffani is collecting "bail money" to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Tiffani proposed a project for Women's History Month (March): Along with her class, and in collaboration with Women's Studies, mount a display about prominent women educators, past and present. Tiffani will chair a subcommittee to work on this. Members will be Thura, Renee, Becky, Maribeth.
- The Knoxville Area Coalition for Compassion, Justice and Peace is sponsoring three discussion forums on "Peace and Justice After September 11." We will post flyers and include this on our Web pages.
- Becky suggested a corkboard in the Reserve Department for posting that would also serve the purpose of making the public access terminal there less visible from outside. This was given to David Atkins for consideration. Thura also mentioned that we should be getting a banner where we will be able to publicize the things we want.
Duty Assignments for Open Forum on the Diversity Climate Survey
- Tamara will post a reminder of the forum on Monday, with a link to a pdf file containing a copy of the results handout.
- Maribeth and Anthony will be notetakers, so that we will have a record of comments and suggestions made during the discussion.
- We will also provide a paper form for people to make comments and suggestions. Thura will design this form and make sure it is included with the handouts. Becky and David will be at the doorways of the auditorium to pass out handouts and to collect comment forms afterwards; Becky will bring pens and pencils.
- Thura has reserved the projector; she will also get the digital camera, and Renee will take pictures.
- For the presentation itself:
- Thura will welcome folks, introduce the committee members present, and introduce the Dean, Barbara Dewey.
- Barbara will make some introductory remarks, putting the survey into the context of the campus at large.
- Molly will give some further introduction, including a review of the survey methodology and process.
- Tamara will go through the results slides which she has worked on and modified according to input from the committee last week.
- Tiffani will talk about the last slide that Tamara has added called "Next Steps." Tiffani, Tamara and Molly came up with four of these: 1) Multicultural Programming; 2) Staff Training; 3) Work with units to follow up on concerns that were raised; 4) Create further forums for discussion. Tiffani will then open the floor for discussion.
- Thura will thank everyone and wrap up.
Web Page Update
- Maribeth will create a separate page for the Survey, will post the link to the handout here, will feature this page on the main Diversity page's 'What's New'
Iowa Conference Update
- The proposal put forward by Tamara, Tiffani and Molly has been accepted - Congratulations! They have made a request to Barbara for travel monies.