July 12, 2001
Recorder: Molly Royse
I. Diversity Luncheon (8/1/01, 11:30-2:00)
“Food for Thought” was decided as the theme for the luncheon. The program will be an informal one, with dialogue with the Committee members encouraged. Thura will introduce the Committee around noon.
The menu for the luncheon was discussed. Ideas/recipes should be sent to Becky and Tiffani, who will attempt to finalize the menu.
It was decided that decorations would include flowers and table-tents. The table-tents will highlight some of our committee goals and priorities as well as our definition for diversity.
Music will be provided from a variety of cultures. Molly will gather the CD’s and Tamara will provide the equipment.
The invitations will be delivered to staff shortly with a R.S.V.P. deadline of July 25. “Food for Thought” was decided as the overall theme. The names of Committee members will be added to the back of the invitations. A place for supervisor’s signature will be retained.
Thura will ask Barbara to send a message to staff encouraging them to attend.
Film Series (Anthony, Maribeth, Joe) -- Anthony has explored titles for a library film series via Blockbuster, the public library, and campus resources. The emphasis will be on feature films vs. documentaries with the public as our audience. As long as we don’t charge for admission, we are O.K. with copyright. Ratings should be advertised along with the titles.
There may be some film titles that are discovered that would be appropriate for the Committee to view.
Opportunities to collaborate with campus programs, cultural events, and already-established film series should be explored. Realistically, we should perhaps focus on producing a calendar of campus diversity-related events for the fall and plan on a film series for a later time.
Promotion Activities (Tamara, Dave, Thura) -- The training budget request needs to reflect our financial needs in this area.
The possibility of using banners was discussed: What is our purpose and the message we are trying to display?
We need to utilize the libraries display cases and perhaps do something in conjunction with a “welcome back” theme.
Diversity Inventory (Tamara, Tiffani, Molly) – Some preliminary literature reviews on diversity climate assessment have been done, but the group has not had the opportunity to meet. The group will report more progress at the next meeting.
III. Diversity Conference
The Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) and ARL are sponsoring a national conference on diversity for academic libraries at the University of Iowa, April 4-6, 2001. The possibilities of Committee members attending the conference as well as submitting a proposal for a paper, panel session, or poster session were discussed favorably.
Molly shared her positive experience in attending an April 2000 conference on diversity in academic libraries. It was sponsored by the Big 12 Plus Libraries Consortium and the Univ. of Texas at Austin.
IV. Web Page
Real discussion on the Committee’s web page should wait until Maribeth can be present.
The question was raised on whether we should include the url on the luncheon invitations and/or table-tents. The website needs the approval/endorsement of LMG and Barbara. Who is the intended primary audience for the site? Should a sub-group be formed to focus on the web page?
Barbara is planning to attend our next meeting on July 26. Thura will ask her in advance what she would like us to address and give her an idea of what we want from her. We should be prepared to tell her what our ideas are, what we need from administration, etc.