- A $10 processing/handling fee is required for all requests.
- Low resolution scans cost $3 per page.
- High resolution scans, 400 dpi minimum, cost $10 per page.
- There is no fee to digitize University of Tennessee, Knoxville theses and dissertations.
- We only accept check or money orders. Credit card payments are not allowed.
- Turnaround process for requests is 3-4 weeks but may be shorter.
Conditions for Using Materials
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville – Libraries (UT Libraries) claims only physical ownership of most material in the collections. Persons wishing to broadcast or publish this material must assume all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright.
- UT Libraries in no way waives its right to future publication of the image(s) supplied to you or the right to grant others permission to use them.
- The recipient agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the University of Tennessee, its officers, employees and agents from and against all suits, claims, actions and expenses arising out of the use of reproductions provided by the UT Libraries.
- Images must be properly credited: “[Identification of Item], [Collection Name] [Collection Number, if applicable]. University of Tennessee, Knoxville – Libraries”
- UT Libraries reserves the right to restrict the use and reproduction of rare, valuable, or fragile materials. In general, duplication of entire books or collections is not permissible.
- Images for Web use may not be published at more than 72 DPI.
- UT Libraries encourages the researcher to provide this repository with one complimentary copy of the finished work.
Special Collections has switched to a staff-only photocopying policy. Patrons will need to fill out an order form and submit payment before copies are made. Personal scanners are not allowed in the Reading Room. Patrons are encouraged to bring a camera or use their phone to take pictures.
Photocopying Restrictions Notice
In general, duplication of entire books or manuscript collections is not permissible.
Persons who wish to photocopy from the collections listed below must first obtain permission from these grantors. Users should note that permission to photocopy does not grant permission to publish.
James Agee Collections
The James Agee Trust
(c/o The Wylie Agency)
250 W. 57th Street, Suite 2114
New York, NY 10107
Phone: (212) 246-0069
Fax: (212) 586-8953
MS-1887: David G. Farragut Papers
P.O. Box 22190
Farragut, TN 37933
Phone: (865) 966-7057
Fax: (865) 675-2096
Alex P. Haley Collections
Paul T. Coleman
212 Peters Road, S.
Knoxville, TN 37923
Phone: (865) 690-5566
When citing the Library as the institution holding a source employed in research and publication, this is the standard form suggested:
[Identification of Item], [Collection Name], MS-[Collection Number]. University of Tennessee Libraries, Knoxville, Special Collections.