Increasing the Impact of UT Research through Open Access
Co-sponsored by the Office of Research and Engagement and UT Libraries
The Open Publishing Support Fund improves access to research produced at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and
- enables authors to retain their copyrights
- accelerates the online availability of peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles generated UT researchers
- raises campus awareness about the benefits of open access
- covers article processing charges (APCs) levied by peer-reviewed open access journals
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Complete the online application.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis to a maximum of $2500 per article. When the annual allocation is exhausted, no additional funds will be available until the following fiscal year.
- Only peer-reviewed open access journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals are eligible. Hybrid journals that make only selected articles open access are not eligible for funding.
- Authors should request a waiver or reduction of charges from the publisher before applying for open publishing support.
- Requests for funding should be made immediately after an article is accepted for publication.
- Any UT Knoxville faculty member, post-doctoral associate, or currently enrolled graduate student whose article has been accepted may apply for funding.
- Authors may apply for funds more than once per year, but should submit separate applications.
- Authors with sufficient funding from grants or contracts are encouraged to use those funds to allow others to share in the benefit of open publications.