Southern Appalachia Subject Guide
- Appalachian Bibliography. Reference PS261.A66 1980.
- Appalachian Studies Bibliography, 1994-2004.
- Bibliography of Southern Appalachia. Reference PS261.B52 1976.
- Appalachian Women: An Annotated Bibliography. Stacks HQ1438.A127F3 1981.
- Appalachian Studies Selected Bibliography
- Appalachian Literature Bibliography
Annotated list of publications, primarily journal articles, on the Appalachian region, emphasizing social sciences. Compiled by West Virginia University Library.
Compiled by West Virginia University Library.
A catalog of books and films on Appalachia held by the libraries of member institutions of the Appalachian Consortium. Indexed by subject and author.
Lists books, short stories, articles, and oral history tapes on Appalachian women. Indexed by author, title, and subject as well as by name of person interviewed.
Compiled in 1994 by Appalachian State University.
Compiled by Otterbein College. Call numbers are for Otterbein College. Check UT Catalog for availability.
To locate books in the catalog, try the following subject heading keywords:
- Appalachian Region
- Mountain Whites--Southern States
- Cumberland Mountains
- Great Smoky Mountains
Also, try more specific subject keywords. For example: Coal Mining Kentucky.
Access to the additional databases is via the Databases link on the Libraries homepage (www.lib.utk.edu).
- History: America History and Life, 1950s- .
- Literature/Folklore: MLA Bibliography, 1926- .
- Education: ERIC, 1966- .
- Public Affairs: PAIS International, 1915- .
- Sociology: Sociological Abstracts/SocioFile, 1963- .
- Anthropology: Anthropological Plus, 1880s- .
- Psychology: PsycInfo, 1887- .
- Religion: ATLA Religion Abstracts, 1949- .
- Social Work: Social Work Abstracts, 1977- .
The following institutions have collections of Appalachian material.
- Archives of Appalachia
- Appalachian State University
- Berea College
- UNC - Asheville
- University of West Virginia
- University of Kentucky
- Western Carolina University
(ASU has a combined catalog with Western Carolina University and the University of North Carolina at Asheville.)
Expedited interlibrary loan is available for material from the UK Library through the Kudzu catalog. You can limit your search to only material from UK if you wish.
There are several periodicals with an Appalachian focus. Below is a list of those to which the library currently subscribes. For a comprehensive list, search appalachia* and periodicals as comprehensive keywords in the catalog.
- Appalachia: Journal of the Appalachian Regional Commission, 1967- . F210.A64
- Appalachian Journal, 1972- . F106.A59
- Appalachian Heritage, 1973- . F210.A645
- Journal of Appalachian Studies, 1995- . F217.A65J682
- Journal of East Tennessee History, 1990- . F442.1.E14
- Former title: East Tennessee Historical Society's Publications, 1929-1989. F442.1.E14
- Center for Virtual Appalachia (Morehead State University)
- Great Smoky Mountains Regional Project (The University of Tennessee)
- Appalachian Studies Association
- Radford University
- West Virginia Wesleyan College
A gateway site for information on Appalachia.
Information and links from UT's Smokies page.
Includes links to collections, libraries and bibliographies on Appalachia.
Links to literature and general information.
Links to various subjects - strong on environmental information.
*Quilt blocks taken from, and reproduced with permission of, the Center for Virtual Appalachia.