FAQs Index

Technology Support

How do I print in the library?

Printers (both black & white and color) are located on the second floor of Hodges in the North and South Commons and on the first floor in the Reference Room. If you need to print on larger paper, you may save your work to a flash drive and use a library copier to print 11 x 17 or visit UCopy on the first floor of the University Center: universitycenter.utk.edu/ucopy.

Printing on campus, including in the UT Libraries, is handled via VolPrint: https://oit.utk.edu/labs/volprint/Pages/default.aspx. NOTE: You will need to have money on your VolCard, or AllStar Plus, account in order to print. Find out how to add money to your VolCard here: How do I add money to my VolCard? Find out about wireless printing here: How do I use wireless printing?

Related Terms: Commons, Printing, VolPrint, Color Printing, Wireless Printing, AllStar Plus Account


How do I use wireless printing?

If you have wireless, you can send print jobs to any wireless printing release station at UTK. Set it up on your wireless computer, and print at any release station on campus where you login. In Hodges Library, the first floor Reference Room and second floor North and South Commons have wireless release stations.

To set up wireless printing or see a list of all wireless printing locations, go to https://oit.utk.edu/labs/volprint/Pages/wireless-printing.aspx


Where can I make a photocopy?

Copy machines are available in the Commons, the Reference reading room on the first floor, and in Special Collections.

Black and White Copies – 6¢
Color Copies – 50¢

Individuals without a UT ID can use the copy card copiers. Those copies print in black and white only and are located in Special Collections and in the Commons. Copy Card dispensers are located in the Reference reading room, The Commons, and at the circulation desk.


What equipment does the Studio have?

The Studio has a wide variety of equipment. You can click on this link to see the equipment available: Studio Equipment


Can I reserve study space in the library?

You can reserve the Martha L. King study room on the second floor of Hodges, 220C, across from the Public Services desk. You can also reserve the Practice Presentation room, 220E. You can use your NetID and password to log in to the reservation system available here: Reservations


What software is available on the computers in the library?

Hodges Library: The library’s computers are part of the OIT network. This lab services page lists the software available on the computers in the Hodges Library Commons.


Does Hodges Library have wireless Internet connections?

Yes, Hodges Library does have wireless connections. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has a Web site explaining how to connect: Wireless Connections Information

You can also visit the Help Desk in the Commons South in Hodges Library for in-person help.


Where can I check out a laptop?

Laptops are available for student checkout in the South Commons. Any student may checkout a laptop to use while in the library for up to four hours. Just bring your Volcard (UT ID card) to the South Commons OIT desk to request a computer. During busy times, the Commons staff will run a wait list, so make sure to give yourself a little extra time if you know you will need a laptop during a specific time.

Click here for more information about equipment that can be checked out from the Commons.


Where can I find technology support?

The campus Office of Information Technology has tech support information at their Web site.

There is a Help Desk for technology questions on the second floor of Hodges Library in the Commons. You can contact the Help Desk by telephone at 865-974-0087.


I cannot access the library’s databases from off campus. What is the problem?

Currently enrolled students, faculty and staff of the University of Tennessee (Knoxville campus) have access to subscription electronic resources, from any computer, connected through any Internet Service Provider.

If you are working from a computer connected to the UTK campus network, you will be allowed access to electronic resources via IP recognition – no authentication is required.
If you are connected to the Internet through an outside service provider, links to electronic resources on UT Libraries web pages will direct you to authorize yourself with your NetID and password and then pass you through proxy server software (EZProxy) to the electronic resource where you will have full access to the subscription.
Your NetID and password will continue to provide you access to electronic resources for six months after you leave the university.
If you have reached an electronic journal or database through a route other than the Libraries web pages, you may be able to get access to the library’s subscription using the UT Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet

If you have problems:

Make sure your browser:

  • Is set to accept cookies.
  • Has Java and Javascript enabled.
  • Ask your Internet Service Provider if you are protected by a firewall. Firewalls that block non-standard ports may restrict your access. The non-standard ports that are used for UT Libraries resources are:
    • 90 and 2050 (for the proxy server – http://proxy.lib.utk.edu:90 and https://proxy.lib.utk.edu:2050)
    • 9003 (for our FindText linking services and E-Journals list – http://linkserv.lib.utk.edu:9003/sfx)
    • 4525 (for the Classic Catalog – http://neko.lib.utk.edu:4525/)

For problems with access to electronic resources, send email to eproblems@nullutk.edu  . You can also contact the library through AskUsNow. Please include as much information as possible in your query. Especially important in helping us troubleshoot are:

  • What link(s) you followed to access the resource, including page URL(s) if possible
  • What error message you are getting
  • How you are connected to the internet, e.g. on-campus wired or wireless network, other Internet Service Provider
  • What browser and operating system you are using




Does the library have a fax machine I can use?

No, there is not a public fax machine in Hodges Library. You can find a fax machine at UCopy, which is in the University Center, room 125. Remember that you can also fax from your computer or scan a document and attach it to an email message. Scanners are available at the Studio on the second floor of Hodges, 865.974.6396


How do I connect to the wireless network in the library?

The procedures for connecting to the wireless network are available from the Office of Information Technology. More help is available on the second floor of Hodges Library at the OIT help desk or 865.974.9900.


How do I use ebooks?

You can find out about ebooks at the Ebook Research Guide.


How do I add money to my VolCard?

Online, use a credit or debit card to add money here: https://web.dii.utk.edu/vcdebitdeposit/.

In Hodges Library, use cash at the DART machine in Commons North to add money to your card.  Other DART machine locations: Andy Holt Apartments, Gibbs Hall, Ag Library, and VolCard Office (472 South Stadium Hall).

More information on adding money: http://volcard.utk.edu/faqs/volcard-account-questions/.


What is The Studio?

The Studio is a media production lab open to all UT students, staff and faculty. Create multimedia-enhanced education projects with help from The Studio’s computers, software and staff. Equipment, such as digital SLRs and video cameras, may be available to borrow for up to three days. More here: http://www.lib.utk.edu/studio/


What is the library mobile site?

It provides access to the UT Libraries Website in a format optimized for a mobile device. You can check the hours, number of open computers, get research help or run a quick search in the Libraries catalog.  See it here: http://m.lib.utk.edu/


Where can I use a computer in the library?

Hodges Library has computers for students on the second floor in the North and South Commons, and on the first floor in the Reference Room. Computers do not have a time limit and are available for any student with an active netID and password.

Find out about checking out a laptop: Where can I check out a laptop?


Where can I get computer help?

Visit the OIT Student Computer Support Desk in the North Commons. OIT staff members can help you install software, reload an operating system, troubleshoot network problems, scan for spyware and more. More here: http://oit.utk.edu/helpdesk/commons/, or get hours here: https://oit.utk.edu/help/helpdesk/Pages/hours.aspx.

For problems establishing a wireless connection to the network, see How can I get help connecting to wireless?


How can I get help connecting to wireless?

For basic instructions on setting up a wireless connection, visit the OIT Knowledge Base: http://oit2.utk.edu/helpdesk/kb/entry/1294/

If you can’t connect to the campus wireless network, first check the OIT homepage at https://oit.utk.edu/Pages/default.aspx. Network problems will be listed in the green or red “Traffic Center” box under “Current Status.”

If the network is not experiencing an outage, and you are still having connectivity issues, go to Where can I get computer help?