FAQs Index


How do I find a dissertation?

How do I get a copy of a dissertation or thesis? -

  • Print-only theses and dissertations will be digitized on request at no charge (for anyone, including individuals not affiliated with UTK).
  • UTK faculty, staff, and students may obtain non-UTK dissertations/theses by

Beginning in 2006, dissertations and theses are electronic only.

For UTK dissertations completed 1997 to 2006/07, electronic full-text is available via ProQuest Dissertations.


How do I print in the library?

Printers (both black & white and color) are located on the second floor of Hodges in the North and South Commons and on the first floor in the Reference Room. If you need to print on larger paper, you may save your work to a flash drive and use a library copier to print 11 x 17 or visit UCopy on the first floor of the University Center: universitycenter.utk.edu/ucopy.

Printing on campus, including in the UT Libraries, is handled via VolPrint: https://oit.utk.edu/labs/volprint/Pages/default.aspx. NOTE: You will need to have money on your VolCard, or AllStar Plus, account in order to print. Find out how to add money to your VolCard here: How do I add money to my VolCard? Find out about wireless printing here: How do I use wireless printing?

Related Terms: Commons, Printing, VolPrint, Color Printing, Wireless Printing, AllStar Plus Account


How do I use wireless printing?

If you have wireless, you can send print jobs to any wireless printing release station at UTK. Set it up on your wireless computer, and print at any release station on campus where you login. In Hodges Library, the first floor Reference Room and second floor North and South Commons have wireless release stations.

To set up wireless printing or see a list of all wireless printing locations, go to https://oit.utk.edu/labs/volprint/Pages/wireless-printing.aspx


What hours is Hodges Library open?

Find up-to-date hours of operation for all UT Libraries here: http://www.lib.utk.edu/hours/.

When classes are in session during fall and spring semesters, Hodges Library is open 24 hours, 5 days a week.  Hours vary during holidays and breaks.


How long can I check out a book?

In general, undergraduates can check out books for 4 weeks, graduate students for 16 weeks, and faculty and staff for 52 weeks. Affiliates, subscribers, courtesy card holders, and people with TBR cards can check out books for 4 weeks.

For more information on borrowing books, DVDs, or other library materials, please see the Libraries’ chart of loan periods and fines.


Where do I find a book or article that my professor has put on reserve?

If your professor has put an electronic article or book on reserve for your course, you can find it in the library’s electronic course reserve system.

If your professor has put a physical article or book on reserve for your course, you can find it at the library’s circulation desk. The circulation desk is located near the main entrance on Melrose Place.  Bring your VolCard (UT ID card) to the desk to check out the item on reserve. Make sure to come prepared with the name of your professor and course – the library staff at the desk will need this information to locate your materials.


How do I find a book in the stacks?



Where can I make a photocopy?

Copy machines are available in the Commons, the Reference reading room on the first floor, and in Special Collections.

Black and White Copies – 6¢
Color Copies – 50¢

Individuals without a UT ID can use the copy card copiers. Those copies print in black and white only and are located in Special Collections and in the Commons. Copy Card dispensers are located in the Reference reading room, The Commons, and at the circulation desk.


Where is accessible parking for Hodges Library?

Multiple designated parking spaces are available in Staff Lot 12 located at the Melrose entrance of Hodges Library. Additionally, there are designated parking spaces on Melrose Ave., which surround the Staff Lot 12 parking lot. When entering from the Melrose entrance, you will be on the second floor of Hodges Library.


Can I use Google Scholar in my research?

Yes. UT Libraries offers a “Google Scholar” link under the search box on the main library page that will allow you to search Google Scholar as a UT student. This can be a great place to start your research, but don’t forget that UT also has access to 300 other databases that may be better meet your research needs.


What is Interlibrary Loan?

Interlibrary loan is a service that provides access to materials not available within your library. The UT interlibrary loan system is called “ILLiad” and is a free to all UT students, faculty and staff.


When can visitors access Hodges Library?

Patrons are not required to sign-in or show identification when entering the Hodges Library between the hours of 7 a.m and midnight. UT faculty, students, and staff ONLY are permitted to enter between midnight and 7 am, and a UT ID is required. Children must be supervised by an adult chaperone.


Where are accessible entrances for Hodges Library?

Both entrances are wheelchair accessible and have automatic doors. The main entrance to Hodges Library is located on Melrose Avenue. This entrance opens onto the second floor. Elevators are down the hall and on your left. If you need assistance, the main Circulation Desk is located just inside the Melrose entrance.  The Volunteer Boulevard entrance opens onto the ground floor.


How long can I check out a book?



How can I ask the library to buy a book?

Contact your subject liaison:


They will be able to help you.


How do I start my research?

A few good starting points:







How do I find out what services the library offers faculty?





What equipment does the Studio have?

The Studio has a wide variety of equipment. You can click on this link to see the equipment available: Studio Equipment


Can I reserve study space in the library?

You can reserve the Martha L. King study room on the second floor of Hodges, 220C, across from the Public Services desk. You can also reserve the Practice Presentation room, 220E. You can use your NetID and password to log in to the reservation system available here: Reservations


What software is available on the computers in the library?

Hodges Library: The library’s computers are part of the OIT network. This lab services page lists the software available on the computers in the Hodges Library Commons.


Does Hodges Library have wireless Internet connections?

Yes, Hodges Library does have wireless connections. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has a Web site explaining how to connect: Wireless Connections Information

You can also visit the Help Desk in the Commons South in Hodges Library for in-person help.


Where can I check out a laptop?

Laptops are available for student checkout in the South Commons. Any student may checkout a laptop to use while in the library for up to four hours. Just bring your Volcard (UT ID card) to the South Commons OIT desk to request a computer. During busy times, the Commons staff will run a wait list, so make sure to give yourself a little extra time if you know you will need a laptop during a specific time.

Click here for more information about equipment that can be checked out from the Commons.


Where can I find technology support?

The campus Office of Information Technology has tech support information at their Web site.

There is a Help Desk for technology questions on the second floor of Hodges Library in the Commons. You can contact the Help Desk by telephone at 865-974-0087.


I cannot access the library’s databases from off campus. What is the problem?

Currently enrolled students, faculty and staff of the University of Tennessee (Knoxville campus) have access to subscription electronic resources, from any computer, connected through any Internet Service Provider.

If you are working from a computer connected to the UTK campus network, you will be allowed access to electronic resources via IP recognition – no authentication is required.
If you are connected to the Internet through an outside service provider, links to electronic resources on UT Libraries web pages will direct you to authorize yourself with your NetID and password and then pass you through proxy server software (EZProxy) to the electronic resource where you will have full access to the subscription.
Your NetID and password will continue to provide you access to electronic resources for six months after you leave the university.
If you have reached an electronic journal or database through a route other than the Libraries web pages, you may be able to get access to the library’s subscription using the UT Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet

If you have problems:

Make sure your browser:

  • Is set to accept cookies.
  • Has Java and Javascript enabled.
  • Ask your Internet Service Provider if you are protected by a firewall. Firewalls that block non-standard ports may restrict your access. The non-standard ports that are used for UT Libraries resources are:
    • 90 and 2050 (for the proxy server – http://proxy.lib.utk.edu:90 and https://proxy.lib.utk.edu:2050)
    • 9003 (for our FindText linking services and E-Journals list – http://linkserv.lib.utk.edu:9003/sfx)
    • 4525 (for the Classic Catalog – http://neko.lib.utk.edu:4525/)

For problems with access to electronic resources, send email to eproblems@nullutk.edu  . You can also contact the library through AskUsNow. Please include as much information as possible in your query. Especially important in helping us troubleshoot are:

  • What link(s) you followed to access the resource, including page URL(s) if possible
  • What error message you are getting
  • How you are connected to the internet, e.g. on-campus wired or wireless network, other Internet Service Provider
  • What browser and operating system you are using




Where can I study in the library?

Floors 1, 4 and 5 of Hodges Library are quiet floors.  Floors 2, 3 and 6 are for group study.  Most floors include group study rooms, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Two practice presentation rooms in Hodges may be reserved. Find group study rooms in Hodges using these maps.

Additional study spaces are also available in the UTK branch libraries.


How can I reserve a group study room?

Group study rooms are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved. There are, however, two practice presentation rooms located in Hodges Library Commons that may be reserved at https://itc2.utk.edu/web/commons/day.php. Get more information about study areas: Where can I study in the library?


How do I obtain a copy of a dissertation or thesis?

UTK Theses & Dissertations available electronically are linked in the Libraries Catalog. Print-only theses and dissertations will be digitized on request at no charge (for anyone, including individuals not affiliated with UTK).

UTK faculty, staff, and students may obtain non-UTK dissertations/theses by


  • Beginning in 2006, dissertations and theses are electronic only.
  • For UTK dissertations completed 1997 to 2006/07, electronic full-text is available via ProQuest Dissertations.

ProQuest Dissertations & Theses

This database provides citations to dissertations and theses from around the world dating back to 1743.
Full-text is available for about one-third of the database, mostly from 1997 to present.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville stopped contributing dissertations to the database in 2006.


Does the library have a fax machine I can use?

No, there is not a public fax machine in Hodges Library. You can find a fax machine at UCopy, which is in the University Center, room 125. Remember that you can also fax from your computer or scan a document and attach it to an email message. Scanners are available at the Studio on the second floor of Hodges, 865.974.6396


How do I connect to the wireless network in the library?

The procedures for connecting to the wireless network are available from the Office of Information Technology. More help is available on the second floor of Hodges Library at the OIT help desk or 865.974.9900.


How do I use ebooks?

You can find out about ebooks at the Ebook Research Guide.


What are the branch libraries?

The University of Tennessee Libraries network is comprised of several libraries in multiple locations. Hodges Library is the main library in the network; branch libraries are independent libraries specializing in a specific subject area. Map Services and Special Collections are located inside Hodges Library. The Pendergrass Ag Vet Med Library and the DeVine Music Library occupy their own facilities on the Knoxville campus. The UT’s Social Work Library is located in Nashville. Each of these libraries is open and available to all UT students, faculty, and staff and each houses its own specialized collection of materials.

For more information about all the libraries in the UT Libraries Network, see http://www.lib.utk.edu/locations/; for library hours, see http://www.lib.utk.edu/hours/.


What are the practice presentation rooms?

There are two practice presentation rooms. Both are in the Hodges Library Commons, have presentation equipment, including projectors, and may be reserved. Practice presentation rooms are located Commons North 220-E and the Martha L. King Room (Commons North 220-C).

Reserve a practice presentation room

Map of the Commons. (PDF file)


How do I add money to my VolCard?

Online, use a credit or debit card to add money here: https://web.dii.utk.edu/vcdebitdeposit/.

In Hodges Library, use cash at the DART machine in Commons North to add money to your card.  Other DART machine locations: Andy Holt Apartments, Gibbs Hall, Ag Library, and VolCard Office (472 South Stadium Hall).

More information on adding money: http://volcard.utk.edu/faqs/volcard-account-questions/.


What is The Commons?

The Commons is the entire second floor of Hodges Library. Areas include Commons North, Commons South, Dixie Marie Wooten Commons West, The Studio, a Starbucks coffee shop, a POD Market, and many help desks, including Research Assistance and Circulation.  Get a map of the Commons here: https://www.lib.utk.edu/about/files/hodges-floor-map-2.pdf.


What is The Studio?

The Studio is a media production lab open to all UT students, staff and faculty. Create multimedia-enhanced education projects with help from The Studio’s computers, software and staff. Equipment, such as digital SLRs and video cameras, may be available to borrow for up to three days. More here: http://www.lib.utk.edu/studio/


What is the library mobile site?

It provides access to the UT Libraries Website in a format optimized for a mobile device. You can check the hours, number of open computers, get research help or run a quick search in the Libraries catalog.  See it here: http://m.lib.utk.edu/


Where can I use a computer in the library?

Hodges Library has computers for students on the second floor in the North and South Commons, and on the first floor in the Reference Room. Computers do not have a time limit and are available for any student with an active netID and password.

Find out about checking out a laptop: Where can I check out a laptop?


Where can I get computer help?

Visit the OIT Student Computer Support Desk in the North Commons. OIT staff members can help you install software, reload an operating system, troubleshoot network problems, scan for spyware and more. More here: http://oit.utk.edu/helpdesk/commons/, or get hours here: https://oit.utk.edu/help/helpdesk/Pages/hours.aspx.

For problems establishing a wireless connection to the network, see How can I get help connecting to wireless?


How can I get help connecting to wireless?

For basic instructions on setting up a wireless connection, visit the OIT Knowledge Base: http://oit2.utk.edu/helpdesk/kb/entry/1294/

If you can’t connect to the campus wireless network, first check the OIT homepage at https://oit.utk.edu/Pages/default.aspx. Network problems will be listed in the green or red “Traffic Center” box under “Current Status.”

If the network is not experiencing an outage, and you are still having connectivity issues, go to Where can I get computer help?