University Libraries Non-Exempt Staff VacancyLibraries Employment
|Position:||Community Service Officer (CSO) for John C. Hodges Library|
|Department:||Reports to UT Police|
|Salary:||Pay Grade 32|
The Library CSO provides a uniformed security presence at the John C. Hodges Library for the purpose of maintaining a safe and secure environment throughout the building during operating hours. They will summon police officers or other emergency personnel, as needed. The CSO works with library staff to direct library users appropriately during every day operations (such as closing) and at times of emergencies. The Library CSO will work in a high traffic, highly visible public building on campus that is open 24/5 plus weekends when classes are in session. In addition to providing for the safety of library users and staff and the security of facilities, there is a responsibility to work with library staff in providing direction to appropriate service points and in promoting good will through responsive public service. A close working relationship among the library staff and the CSO is important to the position in order to maintain security and enforce policies. A good understanding of library policy and service philosophy, in addition to overall UT Police procedures and philosophy, is important.
Provide a uniformed security presence in Hodges Library and
directional information to users of the facility including:
- Provide centralized and consistent point of contact for security and emergency situations, as assigned.
- Patrol and enforce policies throughout the Hodges Library Building
- Investigate library user or staff complaints regarding harassing or disturbing behavior of others.
- Respond to reports of criminal activity and emergencies. Interview victims of crime and write incident reports.
- Summon UT Police officers or other emergency personnel when situation warrants additional help.
- Provide general information to library patrons about library policy and refer them to appropriate library personnel for assistance, as needed.
- Assist in clearing and securing the building at closing time and during emergency situations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Clean criminal history
- Must be 18 years or older
- Previous security experience
- Good communication skills and commitment to quality public service.
- Good judgment and ability to analyze potential emergency situation involving facilities, staff, and university guests and take appropriate action.
- Must be able to provide clear and concise instruction for resolution of problem situations involving a diverse public.
- Excellent work attendance and punctuality.
Apply online at the University Human Resources site.
Contact University Human Resources:
221 Conference Center Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-4125
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For more information about positions in the Libraries contact Library Human Resources.
For other positions at the University of Tennessee Knoxville contact University Human Resources.