UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes January 16, 2014

Posted on


Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: January 16, 2014 at 1:00pm, Room 150

1. Announcements

  • Council for Diversity and Intercluturalism (CDI) Thura attended and reported on:
  • Vice Chancellor Hall has a Disability Task Force in place to look at all of the buildings and services around campus to come up with improvements.  This task force has until May 5th to come up with recommendations.
  • CDI is discussing a Diversity Award for the Chancellor’s Award Banquet event
  • Thura attended a Meeting of Chairs of Diversity Committees and Councils facilitated by Vice Chancellor Hall.  Topics from the meeting included:
    • How to make campus diversity committees higher functioning committees
    • One of the outcomes of the Diversity LEADS group would be to host a Diversity Summit in the Fall 2014 semester
  • Status of the Black Issues Conference:
    • The Diversity Committee program proposal for the conference was accepted, “I Hate it when, I Would Like If…”
    • Presenters are Michelle, Seth, Vicki, Anne, and Thura
    • All Committee members were encouraged to register and attend the Black Issues Conference on February 1, 2014
  • The new Culture Corner has been completed and the topic is Medicine, Healing, etc.

2. Webpage Update

  • The Web Subcommittee were asked to update the activities page with recent Committee activities and functions
  • The Committee was reminded to add more pictures to the page from various activities, such as:
    • Race for the Cure
    • Bake sale

3. Safe Zone Training Feb. 11 at  2-5pm

  • We had a successful response to the Safe Zone Training call for registration
    • Attendees will receive 3 HR 128 credits
  • Email Sojourna Cunningham to sign up for class
  • It was agreed that we should open the registration to the university community and Sojourna will work with HR to open advertising around campus
  • Library participant names will be featured in the Dean’s newsletter

4. Disability Project

  • The Committee will continue planning programs for the Disability Project – activities will run from 2014-2015
  • A strategy will be to post on Facebook about disability services available in Library
  • We need to create a blurb to brand our Disability Project and activities 2014-2015
  • Potential activities:
    • Disability awareness training
    • The Committee will work with Steve M. (Library’s Disability contact Librarian) for April and May 2014 to highlight available services
  • For our programs, we will look into obtaining HR 128 credit
  • Two items for our calendar:
    • International Festival Table— Friday, April 11th from 10am-3pm
      • Table will highlight assistive learning equipment and services available in the library
    • We will partner with campus HR to offer a session on disability services
  • Next steps and more potential programming
    • Contact other campus disability advocates
    • ADA audit of Hodges Library, renew contact
      • Focus groups for disability services  in the library in the works (Sojourna and Regina) Update in February
    • We will continue to create our calendar of events and everyone is tasked with bringing ideas to the next meeting, February 20th, 2014, 1pm
    • Thura will ask the Director of the Disability Services Office to provide our committee with a liaison for this year-long program

5.  Miscellaneous

  • Residence Life Cinema: suggestions from Black Cultural Center for February
    • Perhaps we can collaborate with Residence Cinema Life to have movies with the theme of overcoming disabilities or physical challenges – September or October
      • October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month

In Attendance

Thura Mack                Steve Thomas

Anne Hulse                  Ingrid Ruffin

Vicki Palmer               Sojourna Cunningham

Regina Mays               Seth Jordan

 

Spring 2014 Meeting Dates

February 20th           March 20th

April 17th                    May 15th

June 19th                     July 17th