UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes April 16, 2009

Posted on


  1. Announcements
    1. Laurie – Native American Heritage Night. 2nd annual on 4/20/09 @ McClung Museum @ 7:30.We will publicize this.Post Bills about the library and put it on our website.

i.Publicity materials will be sent to Allison Roberts (Jerry will send them to Allison)

  1. International Festival next Friday.Schedule is as follows:

8:00-9:30      Damon Campbell, Thura Mack

9:30-11:00    Jeanine Williamson, Thura Mack

11:00-12:30  Trisha Brady, Joanne Deeken

12:30-2:00    Laurie Roberson, Jerry Roberson

2:00-4:00     Shantrie Collins, Allison Roberts, Marielle Veve

a. Thura will fill in as needed

  1. Support for Possum Queen (Trisha Brady vs Michelle Brannen) – to support staff activities within the library
    1. How can we support this?

i.Trisha will have a friend with a pet possum in

ii.Trisha will solicit funds from others within the library

iii.Possible bake sale

iv.This goes on til May 12th, at which point the winner is crowned.This will happen during the Spirit Awards in the Hermitage room at the UC.

1.Marielle will email Laurie information RE the spirit awards and such.

2.Trisha will send updates to the committee as well.

  1. Let’s Talk About it with Native American Students
    1. We’ll hold off on this til fall – during Native American month
    2. Jerry says that we should pick a day in October and he’ll take it back to the Native American Students – this way, the group will be aware.

i.10/01 is the pow-wow

ii.10/16 – McClung Cherokee days

iii.The 15th would be good, but it’s during fall break..

iv.We could do ours on the 8th.

1.This is now our tentative date.Midterms jump around depending on the teacher, so some students will be busy, others will not (so says Trisha).

  1. Invite VolAware ppl to have a Let’s Talk About It
    1. VolAware helps students in crisis
    2. As suggested by Dean Maxine
    3. We could do this Summer of fall.

i.AR says it might be lost in the summer

ii.Jerry suggests doing this after the first test

1.Are we focusing this on staff or students?Staff.

a.Trisha suggests training for high stress situations when we’re not high stressed.

iii.Ppl from other branches and portions of campus would have a better chance of attending if it falls in the summer.

1.We also need to be aware of summer vacations and ALA

iv.Late August/Early September, when we’re gearing up but before things are in full swing

1.JW will check with VolAware for times in Early September and see what they have.

2.We could put this in the Beacon to publicize, but students mainly came for LGBT session and Beverly Watts.

3.JW wants this to be focused on staff – helping us help students.

4.We should also encourage our student workers to attend, as per JR

  1. Collaborating with Margaret Casado on poverty issues
    1. Culture corner?
    2. Some other way of showing our support, as this is a diversity issue

i.How can we go beyond the culture corner?JR suggests:

1.there will probably be campus-wide activities related to this

2.There are schools in the immediate area with high rates of child poverty – maybe there’s something we can do RE a visit to the school (work with Tahira A Williams on outreach) possibly host a read in at the school.

3.Program to get books to the kids or do a fundraiser?

a.AR – will this be ongoing?It’s a large undertaking.

b.We can adopt a school or a class – do it on a small scale as per JR

c.We’d need a lot of approval to actually give books to kids, but it would be effective publicity for UT and for higher education in general

d.Encourage volunteerism of some sort.

ii.Margaret has not talked with TM or JW about this yet

iii.We’ll want to do something that’s not only meaningful, but that supports Margaret

iv.This could be a service learning opportunity (like the Baker Center does).Bob Kronick from College of Education sometimes brings in younger students and exposes them to UT.They’d be in the library for 45 minutes or so.Allison Roberts and Chris Durman have participated in this.

    1. This issue is already part of Ready For The World (The Glass Castle is the book that they’ll be reading)
    2. AR might develop a webpage resource for dealing with this
    3. We can also scour the web for outreach models and bring them back to the group