Following is a select bibliography of electronic resources on the Cherokee Nation. Are materials are available through the library website for authorized users.
- America’s Historical Newspapers
- American Memory
- Anthropological Index of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Anthropology Plus
- comprehensive international resource for anthropology / archaeology.
- Art Full Text
- ATLA Religion Database
- Early American Imprints, Series I: Evans, 1639-1800
- Early American Imprints, Series II: Shaw-Shoemaker, 1801-1819
- Tennessee Documentary History, 1796-1850
- Tennessee Encyclopedia of History & Culture
- Native American Connections
This database contains articles and directories on Native Americans
- Cherokee Phoenix and Indian Advocate
Newspaper published by the Cherokee Nation.
- The Cherokee Observer
Newspaper that focuses on Cherokee issues and culture.
- The Cherokee Voice
A Cherokee newspaper published at Georgia Southern University.
The Cherokees (General Resources)
- Woodward, Grace. Civilization of the American Indian Series ; 65 Steele.
This work is a general examination of the Cherokee Nation.
- Finger, John R. Cherokee Americans: The Eastern Band of Cherokees in
the Twentieth Century
The book is an overview of the Cherokees of Western North Carolina.
- Dale, Edward Everett. Cherokee Cavaliers: Forty Years of Cherokee History As Told in the Correspondence of the Ridge-Watie-Boudinot Family Civilization of the American Indian Series ; V. 19
This text is a collection of historical correspondence on the removal and migration of the Cherokee Nation.
- Thornton, Russell.; Snipp, C. Matthew.; Breen, Nancy. The Cherokees: A Population HistoryIndians of the Southeast.
This book looks at the current and historical population trends of the Cherokee Nation.
- Savage, William W.The Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association: Federal Regulation and the Cattleman’s Last Frontier.
This work examines tribal economic strategies through live-stock.
- Cunningham, Frank. General Stand Watie’s Confederate Indians
The book tells of Cherokee conflict in the midst of the Civil War.
- Williams, David.The Georgia Gold Rush: Twenty-niners, Cherokees, and Gold Fever
This work discusses the gold-rush and the removal of Cherokees in the state of Georgia.
- Everett, Dianna. The Texas Cherokees: A People between Two Fires,
1819-1840 Civilization of the American Indian Series ; V. 203
This book takes a look at the history surrounding Cherokees in Texas.
- Sturm, Circe. Blood Politics: Race, Culture, and Identity in the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.
This book is a fascinating look at the notion of blood lines and identifiers in the Cherokee Nation.
- Duncan, Barbara R.; Arch, Davey. Living Stories of the Cherokee
This book is an examination of Cherokee stories and storytellers.
Literature and Language
- Kilpatrick, Jack Frederick.; Kilpatrick, Anna Gritts. Friends of Thunder:
Folktales of the Oklahoma Cherokees.
This work is a collection and examination of Cherokee storytellers and their stories.
- Conley, Robert J. Mountain Windsong: A Novel of the Trail of Tears
This novel is a historical fictional account of the Trail-of-Tears.
- Bender, Margaret Clelland. Signs of Cherokee Culture: Sequoyah’s Syllabary in Eastern Cherokee Life
The text looks at the importance of literacy in Cherokee language.
- Strickland, Rennard. Cherokee Law. Fire and the Spirits: Cherokee Law From Clan to Court Civilization of the American Indian Series ; V. 133.
- Wilkins, Thurman.Cherokee Tragedy: The Ridge Family and the Decimation of a People Civilization of the American Indian Series ; V. 169.
- Garrison, Tim Alan.The Legal Ideology of Removal: The Southern Judiciary and the Sovereignty of Native American Nations Studies in the Legal History of the South
This book is an examination of the legalities surrounding the removal of the Cherokees.
- Kilpatrick, Alan. The Night Has a Naked Soul: Witchcraft and Sorcery Among the Western Cherokee.
This work is an examination of traditional religious practices.
- Bass, Althea. Cherokee Messenger Civilization of the American Indian Series ; V. 12.
The book relates the biography of a missionary Samuel Worcester, and his work with the Cherokee.
- Laban Samuel.; Wheeler, Ellen Jayne Maris. Cherokee Outlet Cowboy: Recollections of Laban S. This work is a look into the cowboy and
Cherokee culture of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Foreman, Grant. Sequoyah
The text provides account of Sequoyah and his influences on the Cherokee alphabet and language.
- Gregory, Jack and Strickland, Rennard. Sam Houston With the Cherokees, 1829-1833.
This book is a biographical account of Sam Houston and his relations with the Cherokees.
Created by LaVerne Gray