UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes November 20, 2014

Posted on

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: November 20, 2014 at 1:00pm, Room 150


  • No announcements

Ideas for Diversity Project/Activities 2015

  • Vice Chancelor Hall invited the committee to help with a lunch and learn series
  • The series will take place in the library at our regular meeting time
  • Thura and Megan will be working on a more detailed schedule
  • A possible theme: how to create dialogue on difficult topics we can then have each lunch and learn focus on a different specific topic and invite other groups to join us for example if we have a dialogue focused on LGBTQ issues we would invite OUTspoken to that lunch and learn
  • Difficult conversations committee so far volunteers at this time are: Thura, Elizabeth, Ingrid, Regina, and Sarah

Topics Discussion for Black Issues Conference Proposal

  • Proposals for the 10th annual Black Issues Conference, (Stand Your Ground: the State of Black America Today on Saturday, February 7, 2015 from 10am until 4pm) are due soon
  • We can tie in the theme of our lunch and learns and start this conference off with a discussion about conversations in general
  • Focus on the online presence such as Yik Yak and Black Twitter
  • A subcommittee of volunteers to plan the conference topics further includes: Anne Holst, Megan, Ingrid?, Jesse (program content creation), and Thura.
  • Using Social Media as a safe space racially
    • Pick Tweets from “safe space” sites to start discussion
    • Defining your own culture
  • Racially motivated crimes in a social media era
    • Response to racially motivated crimes in a pre- and post-internet era
  • Creating your own space online
    • Ways to broaden your horizons in a like-minded space

Best Wishes and Farewell

Sojourna and Vicki will be leaving the Library Diversity Committee to begin new jobs as new librarians

Final Thoughts

  • If anyone wants to join the two work groups, please email tmack@nullutk.edu by Wednesday, December 3rd.
  • The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday January 15, 2015 at 1:00pm

In Attendance

  • Thura Mack
  • Anne Hulse
  • Vickie Palmer
  • Ingrid Ruffin
  • Regina Mays
  • Steve Thomas
  • Cathy Jenkins
  • Megan Venable
  • Elizabeth Young
  • Tamara Griffin (ODS Proxy)
  • Sara Holt
  • Seth Jordan

UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes August 21, 2014

Posted on

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: August 21, 2014 at 1:00pm, Room 150

1. Introductions and welcome to new members

2. Announcements
• New club secretary: Sarah Holt
• Spotlight on website task force

3. A campus wide committee Courage to Climb identifies students that are going above and beyond, but that may not always get the attention they deserve. The Office of Disability Services suggested a collaboration and Michelle Brannon will be the representative from the Diversity committee.

4. Welcome Week Diversity table August 22, 2014
• Donations were made for prizes, thank you Meagan Venable
• The table will make stress balls and have a game (thank you Ingrid Ruffin)
• The event lasts till 11:00 pm
• Thank you to the volunteers: Cathy Jenkins, Thura, Vikki, and Ingrid

5. Visiting librarian
• Strategy for questions: the committee reaches inward and outward
• See what similar committees have done elsewhere
• Those in attendance will bring questions

6. Life of the Mind
• Currently in Culture Corner display has been updated to include response projects from students
• Discussed possible location for larger display such as classroom row on the second floor or the display case outside the auditorium on the first floor.

7. University Center display case booked for September 29- October 6
• Look for an email asking for input on what to highlight
• So far thoughts have been to use the graphic currently in the auditorium display case and update it to include upcoming events and services offered

8. Upcoming events
• October 18 is Race for the Cure look for an email to register as part of our team
• October is Disabilities History month and as part of our yearlong focus on disabilities to honor the 25th anniversary of the American with Disabilities Act
-Meeting titled Disabilities 101 will be held September 18, 2014 at 1:00 pm in room 150
-Sometime in November/ December we will host a panel discussion with student
organizations that also focus on disabilities

UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes February 20, 2014

Posted on

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: February 20, 2014 at 1:00pm , Room 150

1. Quiet reflection in memory of Marva Rudolph

2. Announcements

  • Safe Zone Training Completed (Sojourna Cunningham)
    • Attendees will receive engraved stickers
    • Approximately 9 attendees; attendee names will be submitted to Dean’s Newsletter
    • Next up – hidden disability and suicide prevention training
  • Academic Program Review meeting for Library Diversity Committee Members  Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 3:15pm – 4pm in Room 605
    • Committee members must be prepared to ask and answer questions
  • 2013-2014 Library Diversity committee membership page begin updated by Seth Jordan.

3. Diversity Highlights

  • The Dean is nominating the library for a CCI Diversity award
    • We are requested to provide a narrative of our programming:
      • The Human Library Project
      • Veterans
      • SafeZone Training
      • Culture Corner
      • Black Issues Conference
      • The International Festival
      • VolAware Street Fair
      • Diversity Residents
      • Supporting Collegiality in the library
        • Cookie Contest
      • Supporting Community Causes
        • Race for the Cure
        • Race Against Racism
      • Upcoming
        • Year-long Disability Awareness Projects

4. Steve Milewski (Liaison for Disability Services)

  • Attended the February meeting and will also attend the March meeting
  • He confirmed that he is available to provide a tour of assistive services and technology in the library

5. Disability Project

  •  The International Festival Table April 11 from 10-3
    • Theme: Disability resources in the Libraries
      • A tour of ADA Compliant technologies (Steve Milewski) ; Invite people to browse and use what we have available

6. ADA Audit (Regina & Sojourna)

  • Capitalizing on the anniversary of the American’s with Disabilities Act in 2015
  • Provided updates on assessment activities that support the Disability Project

7. Disability Calendar

  • Official anniversary on July 26, 2015; kick-off year activities in July 2014
  • Regina and Sojourna provided a calendar of disability past and upcoming events
  • Brainstorm and will identify approximately 6-7 disability themed movies for October 2014
  • Disability Week in October campus connect with Disability Advocates
  • Disability Conference   4/4/14- 4/5/14

 In Attendance

Elizabeth Young

Vicki Palmer

Anne Hulse

Cathy Jenkins

Megan Venable

Sojourna Cunningham

Thura Mack

Regina mays

Seth Jordan

Steve Thomas


Next Meeting: March 20, 2014 Room 150 at 1pm


Tentative Topics for Discussion at next committee meeting

  • Recognizing student workers discussion
  • Discussion of display table set-up for the International Fair


Spring 2014 Meeting Dates

March 20th              April 17th

May 15th                  June 19th

July 17th


UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes January 16, 2014

Posted on

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: January 16, 2014 at 1:00pm, Room 150

1. Announcements

  • Council for Diversity and Intercluturalism (CDI) Thura attended and reported on:
  • Vice Chancellor Hall has a Disability Task Force in place to look at all of the buildings and services around campus to come up with improvements.  This task force has until May 5th to come up with recommendations.
  • CDI is discussing a Diversity Award for the Chancellor’s Award Banquet event
  • Thura attended a Meeting of Chairs of Diversity Committees and Councils facilitated by Vice Chancellor Hall.  Topics from the meeting included:
    • How to make campus diversity committees higher functioning committees
    • One of the outcomes of the Diversity LEADS group would be to host a Diversity Summit in the Fall 2014 semester
  • Status of the Black Issues Conference:
    • The Diversity Committee program proposal for the conference was accepted, “I Hate it when, I Would Like If…”
    • Presenters are Michelle, Seth, Vicki, Anne, and Thura
    • All Committee members were encouraged to register and attend the Black Issues Conference on February 1, 2014
  • The new Culture Corner has been completed and the topic is Medicine, Healing, etc.

2. Webpage Update

  • The Web Subcommittee were asked to update the activities page with recent Committee activities and functions
  • The Committee was reminded to add more pictures to the page from various activities, such as:
    • Race for the Cure
    • Bake sale

3. Safe Zone Training Feb. 11 at  2-5pm

  • We had a successful response to the Safe Zone Training call for registration
    • Attendees will receive 3 HR 128 credits
  • Email Sojourna Cunningham to sign up for class
  • It was agreed that we should open the registration to the university community and Sojourna will work with HR to open advertising around campus
  • Library participant names will be featured in the Dean’s newsletter

4. Disability Project

  • The Committee will continue planning programs for the Disability Project – activities will run from 2014-2015
  • A strategy will be to post on Facebook about disability services available in Library
  • We need to create a blurb to brand our Disability Project and activities 2014-2015
  • Potential activities:
    • Disability awareness training
    • The Committee will work with Steve M. (Library’s Disability contact Librarian) for April and May 2014 to highlight available services
  • For our programs, we will look into obtaining HR 128 credit
  • Two items for our calendar:
    • International Festival Table— Friday, April 11th from 10am-3pm
      • Table will highlight assistive learning equipment and services available in the library
    • We will partner with campus HR to offer a session on disability services
  • Next steps and more potential programming
    • Contact other campus disability advocates
    • ADA audit of Hodges Library, renew contact
      • Focus groups for disability services  in the library in the works (Sojourna and Regina) Update in February
    • We will continue to create our calendar of events and everyone is tasked with bringing ideas to the next meeting, February 20th, 2014, 1pm
    • Thura will ask the Director of the Disability Services Office to provide our committee with a liaison for this year-long program

5.  Miscellaneous

  • Residence Life Cinema: suggestions from Black Cultural Center for February
    • Perhaps we can collaborate with Residence Cinema Life to have movies with the theme of overcoming disabilities or physical challenges – September or October
      • October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month

In Attendance

Thura Mack                Steve Thomas

Anne Hulse                  Ingrid Ruffin

Vicki Palmer               Sojourna Cunningham

Regina Mays               Seth Jordan


Spring 2014 Meeting Dates

February 20th           March 20th

April 17th                    May 15th

June 19th                     July 17th