Skip to content

Diversity Committee

UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes November 19, 2015

Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes: November 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Room 150

Announcements:

  • The 2016 meeting dates were sent in an email
  • There is a subcommittee for the upcoming Black Issues Conference, they will communicate via email

Lunch and Learn Series:

  • In good communication with speakers for Spring
  • Possibly join with student organizations such as:
    • Multicultural Grad Student
    • Communication and Information
    • Vol Update
    • Student faith based groups- Megan will send out a list to the group so we can add to it
  • Money left in the budget for advertising
    • Look into radio spot on The Rock, in the past a $50 donation
    • Megan will ask for click statistics from past online Beacon ad
    • Lil’a will reach out to the Beacon to ask a student to cover the event for an article

Presentation on the Diversity& Inclusion in LIS conference:

  • Keila recently attended the conference and came back with a very insightful presentation including these takeaways:
    • The keynote speaker focused on micro aggressions
    • Diversity in ILS is low compared to the US average with only 11% up only 1% in the past ten years
    • Increased inclusion does not always equal social acceptance based on interviews with members of minorities
    • Analyzing one’s own privilege helps to create a culturally competent professional
    • Cataloging needs to expand subject headings to accommodate intersectionality
    • Always start with questions, not assumptions

How to bring these themes to UTK:

  • Strategic Planning and Steering committee is already focused on civility, diversity, and inclusion and is talking to leaders around campus
  • A staff/ faculty training session
    • Members of the Administration support this
    • Possible topics:
      • Accessing your privilege
      • Implicit bias
    • Need to make this different than typical HR training
  • Target departments individually
  • More than one session
  • Address rank (faculty vs staff; tenure track vs not; etc)
  • Understand these are sensitive subjects
  • Make it mainstream
  • Outside facilitator

Next meeting: No meeting in December. Next meeting is Thursday January 21 at 1:00pm in room 150

In Attendance:

Anne Hulse
Cathy Jenkins
Keila Zayas-Ruiz
Lili’a Neville
Megan Veneable
Melaine Allen
Michelle Brannen
Regina Mays
Sarah Holt
Seth Jordan
Thura Mack

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.