UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes August 6, 2009

Diversity Committee

I.Membership

List of ppl applying for our committee – we accept all of the applicants.Barbara will be informed.

Allison Sharp Bolorizadeh

Erin Moore

Dan Green

Ppl returning

Thura

Allison Roberts

Annazette McCane Houston

Laurie & Jerry Roberson

Rotating off

Jeanine Williamson

Marielle Veve

Sandy Allen

II.Volaware updates

a.JW has contact Connie Briscoe – director of Volaware – mental health awareness group.Distressed/distressing student helpline.Will come talk to us about Volaware in September…this will be a “Let’s Talk About It”

b.Future volaware events

1.Volaware street fare 11/7

2.Concert – 10/6

a.JW will probably attend the above functions.The theme is Poverty.

b.She can have posters rdy for the event.

ii.The library usually has presence at these functions.

III.We’ll host a welcome back thing in August

a.We usually pass out ice water and literature – last time we usedcases of water.

1.We can pass out water during lunch….Tuesday the 25th of August and the August 27th

2.Allison will bring a banner we already have prepared.

3.Thura and Trisha will each bring two cases of water.Allison will supply an ice chest.Jeanine will make a financial contribution.Thura will accept it.Jerry will bring water (and has volunteered Laurie)

4.We’ll set up right on Melrose

5.If we can set a date on the volaware “Let’s Talk About It”, we can have promotional materials for that at our table at the welcome back.

IV.Let’s Talk About It – feat. Beverly Watts

V.Conflict – the timing of this allows us an hour…but there’s a retirement function at around the same time as the let’s talk about it.

a.Allison will get the let’s talk about it in the beacon, metropulse, and sentinel.

i.Trisha has created flyers, and some of them will go to the display that Shantrie is creating on the1st floor

ii.Allison will bring in some old child’s shoes…these can be part of the display (tossed over a phone line).

iii.Trisha has some other images of poverty Shantrie might use form when she was working on the posters.

1.We’ll eschew movies in favour of the welcome back activity – the movies will be depressing.

2.Advertising – hang flyers in Sociology, Poli Sci, the Golden Roast?TM and JW will help with hanging flyers.

VI.Reception for residents program completion

a.8/24/09 – 10:30am in 605

b.There’s a committee planning the party

i.Gail Watson

ii.Sharon Boring

iii.Wanda Rosinski

iv.Melanie Feltner-Reichert

v.Sara Foster

vi.JoAnne Deeken

vii.Thura Mack

c.The theme is – “Sail away…but welcome to sail back!”

d.Trisha may be photographing the festivities

e.It’ll be a brunch – we can bring food.

VII.Allison Roberts will be the new co-chair of the committee – hopefully.TM will ask Barbara if it’s okay.

VIII.Volunteering Rocks – see the AgVet facebook and youtube..see Allison Roberts for details.