UT Libraries Diversity Committee Meeting Minutes March 4, 2008

Minutes for March 4, 2008

Diversity Committee Meeting

  1. Announcements

· Sara reported that the Pearl Fryer program was a big success. It was estimated that 50 people attended. Kudos to Allison for getting our committee involved. Kudos to Sara, Shantrie, and Damon for attending and helping out. Allison mentioned that a video of the event may be available soon.

· Rita Geier’s “Let’s Talk About It” was an excellent presentation. There were approximately 15 people attended.

    1. Student Appreciation event update- Thura reported that the invitations will go out today, the certificates will get completed and routed to Barbara and Sara for signatures ASAP. The date of the Student Appreciation program is March 31st from 2-4. Barbara will present certificates at 2:30. It was confirmed that we will have cake, punch, and peanuts. Thura volunteered to get napkins, cups and forks.
    2. Spring Culture Corner update- Sara reported that the Culture Corner is well on the way. Sandy is helping to order the books and make sure they get processed and sent to the Culture Corner as they arrive in the library. Martha Rudolph has been making signs for us, and Becky Roller has been checking out the books for the Culture Corner, and the Student Appreciation Event.
  1. Discussion:
    1. Film for Women’s History Month- Sara facilitated the rankings of the films for Women’s History Month. The film Iron-jaw Angels is the first choice for the movie. It was decided by the committee March 27th is the day we will show the films. The films will be shown all day. Someone from the committee will check periodically to make sure the film is showing without technical difficulty. It was suggested to try and schedule the film around the time students are getting out of class.
    2. Student Appreciation event- everything is on track to hold this event.
    3. Speaker from outside the library- Wayne Winkler’s presentation has been changed to the Mary E Greer Room. The administration needed to use room 605.
    4. Topics/events from the proposed calendar- Topics for the monthly Book Shelf were discussed here. These topics include Holocaust, The Lost Caravan, and Environmental Trends including water shortage. The committee was reminded to make sure our topics were Diversity related. Sara asked for volunteers to help with the monthly Book Shelf for Hot Topics. Allison agreed to do a Book Shelf topic for April.
    5. Begin discussion on our participation in the International Festival- This event is on April 18th. Sara is working with the International House to receive details for the event. There may be a $20 charge for our table. The committee plans to ask Barbara for the money. Some committee members volunteered to bring hard candy for the table (Jeanine, Sara and Thura). Jayne Row volunteered to purchase Moon Pies for occasional drawings. The committee discussed creating a map so people can put pins in the area where they are from. Jeanine and Jayne will work on International News handouts for our table. More discussion on this at our next meeting.
    6. Suggestions for events for April and May were asked for, and Sara Green offered that the Committee had been approached in the past by Sarah Surak from the Facilities Services Department to include an environmental theme during Earth Month (April) that the committee is now considering.
  2. Conclusion:
    1. The Committee was asked to consider topics/events/films for the last few months of this committee’s fiscal year for our next meeting.

b. There was no other business, so the meeting adjourned.