UT Libraries - Map Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Services
John C. Hodges Library supports the needs of the university community by providing patrons with resources needed to expedite GIS use for teaching and research. Map Services is responsible for developing geospatial collections (both commercial and public domain) needed by our primary clientele.
GIS User Policies
- The following assistance is available to students, faculty, and staff who are involved with a GIS-related project, research, or assigment.
- Evaluating GIS as a suitable tool for solving a research need
- Finding print and electronic GIS-related (GIS and GPS) resources
- Finding and making available spatial data
- Formatting and projecting spatial data
We recommend scheduling appointments by calling (974-4315) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Map Services
- For a specific appointment to discuss using geospatial resources, contact Gregory March, Map & Geospatial Data Librarian, at email@example.com
GIS Equipment, Software, and Data
- The library has 8 GIS Workstations (with dual screen monitors) running various GIS applications, available to UT Affiliates only. Priority is given to those working on GIS projects. We advise contacting Map Services ahead of time to check on availability. UT affiliates should honor software licensing agreements.
- Data created and stored on these GIS workstations is not backed up, can be seen by other UT Affiliates, and is subject to deletion. We advise backing up work to an external device such as a flash drive or hard drive.
- The library provides vendor purchased geospatial data available to UT Affiliates only. UT Affiliates should honor data licensing agreements
- Public domain geospatial data is available to UT Affiliates and the general public.
Additional GIS-Related Assistance, Support, and Training
- UT Affiliates interested in free virtual (self paced) GIS training with ESRI software (ESRI Virtual Campus) can go here. After selecting a course(s), please email the Virtual Campus Administrator (Map & Geospatial Data Librarian) who will send you course codes with instructions. Please use your UTK email address when emailing.
- The GIS@UT website and the Map & Geospatial Data Librarian's LibGuide pages provide information to UT Affiliates interested in learning more about GIS. Links to People, Labs/Facilities, Research, Teaching, and more is available.
- The OIT Research Computing Support (RSC) Department has a Geography Graduate Assistant who can provide help with work involving GIS methods, functions, analysis, and techniques. Please contact Nicholas Schoenborn, OIT GIS Consultant via the OIT HelpDesk (974-9900) for assistance. OIT offers hands-on workshops on various GIS-related topics each semester. You can sign up for them here.
- The Geography Department GIS Laboratory has Teaching Assistants that can help students who are working on GIS and Cartography assignments and projects.
- The College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources Computer Lab is open to students who are working on GIS assignments and projects. Please email Dr. Joanne Logan for more information.
- The University of Tennessee Cartographic Services Laboratory uses GIS and other software to create custom maps. The Cartography Lab serves UT faculty, staff, students, and others. Please see the Cartographic Services Lab web page for more information.
- Students needing a copy of ArcGIS and Extentions Student Edition can contact the Map & Geospatial Data Librarian to acquire a One-Year Education Use Only (media and license). Please specify the ESRI software version when emailing.
- Faculty and staff needing GIS software and technical support can go here.
A PDF version of this page is available here.